• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6D engine overheating

.RC.

Another hot humid day, got it operational. Made all new side and bottom radiator baffles for it, they are not hard to make.

Gave it a run this afternoon in 34C heat for a couple of hours and really gave it the beans.

Looks like the problem has been solved. Could not even get it halfway through the green.

20240128_150830.jpg 20240128_150825.jpg

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
ELI is an extremely good option for any location where engines never get cold enough to freeze. It has the same inhibitors as ELC which protect from corrosion and cavitation. In a hot climate that’s all you need. TBH I wouldn’t put coolant in any machine in Australia, only ELI.

.RC.

Well I still have a cooling problem. I was into it today fairly well, doing a lot of second gear work, and about 2pm was when the cooling problem really got going. The air conditioner was really struggling to keep me comfy and cool I think the cab is just too big.

Plumber85

Well I still have a cooling problem. I was into it today fairly well, doing a lot of second gear work, and about 2pm was when the cooling problem really got going. The air conditioner was really struggling to keep me comfy and cool I think the cab is just too big.
Do you need a Turkey farmer special?

.RC.

Not sure what a turkey farmer special is, but those big old cabs take a lot of energy to cool.

Well the new radiator has been a success, it ran cool all day today, something it never did before in summer. It will need a gentle blow out from the front soon.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I will just list the radiator gasket part numbers here for reference.

Starting at the top, from top tank to adapter plate is 6n4950
From top adapter plate to top header is 6N4949
From bottom header to bottom adapter plate is 6N4956
And from bottom adapter plate to bottom tank is 6N4955

.RC.

The problem with tinting is when it gets dust on it, you would not be able to see out. It is bad enough now in the afternoon seeing out into a shadowed area, you cannot see the ground and do not know if there is a precipice ahead of you or not. Added to vision problems 50% of the glass has been replaced by perspex.

20240130_103156.jpg

Shimmy1

The problem with tinting is when it gets dust on it, you would not be able to see out. It is bad enough now in the afternoon seeing out into a shadowed area, you cannot see the ground and do not know if there is a precipice ahead of you or not. Added to vision problems 50% of the glass has been replaced by perspex.

View attachment 304360
Probably why some of the old timber rigs Scrubpuller posted pictures of had goofy sunshades on them. Most were open canopy, but I'm sure it helped a bunch.

Sure wish I knew how that old bugger was doing.

sled dog

Probably why some of the old timber rigs Scrubpuller posted pictures of had goofy sunshades on them. Most were open canopy, but I'm sure it helped a bunch.

Sure wish I knew how that old bugger was doing.
Shimmy, I miss him too. As far as those sunshades or canopys, maybe Oz or Tones could say. The only explanation I could find on the 'net says those are to keep the snakes in the trees out of your lap. Fcuk that!!!

Pony

You mean something like this?
Just an old style scrub canopy to keep the trees and limbs out of your lap.
Round on top so the limbs will fall off and not sit up there.
Although the newer style is square, so flat on top, easier to make I guess, but rubbish would accumulate on top I imagine.
Don't own and never used the newer ones so can't say for sure.
The one in the picture is a little big for the baby dozer, but I got it for almost nothing, bit of fabrication and it doesn't fit to badly.

Attachments

• 20190812_173209.jpg
    20190812_173209.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16