• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6D Color, Cat or Old Cat yelow

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Cats were painted Hiway Yellow from Dec 7, 1931 to June 1979. From June 1979, the change to the "new" Caterpillar Yellow was introduced gradually - unlike the original change from Gray to Hiway Yellow - which was introduced across the entire line on one specific day. You'd need to find the build date of your tractor to get some idea - and even then, you may have a "transition" tractor.
If you can find a spot somewhere, such as some untouched recess in a housing or on the tractor frame, you should be able to gradually and carefully scrape back down to the original paint color. The D6D was built from 1977 to 1996.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Dozer Paint Pics 015.JPG
Here is some we repainted using Deere construction yellow.I know it's a Cat not Deere!!!!!!

Attachments

• Dozer Paint Pics 003.JPG
    Dozer Paint Pics 003.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 522

DPete

Looks good constructo, seems like the color change had to do with removing the lead from the paint and they couldn't get the same yellow without it. When the new color came out it almost looked beige, seems to be yellower now then at first or is it me.

shopguy

Thanks OZ , I got it here and got started on it to find the (hiway) under the (new cat) yea that is a good looking 6.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
DPete - Yes, I believe what you've stated is correct. The "new" Cat Yellow was the result of lead removal from the paint - and yes, IMO the new color was a crap beige shade (it got nicknamed "baby-s*** yellow", around here - :D )
I can recall all us local contractors were appalled when it appeared, it seemed that Cat had lost something in the translation.

Anytime the brother and I repainted our Cats (which we did about every 3 yrs), we used a local brand of "construction yellow", which was a nice golden yellow.
The local paint was about 6% lead, and we added leaded petrol (gasoline) for thinners - and that leaded petrol would give a stunning gloss to the finish!
OH&S would have heart failure today, at the amount of lead we sprayed around back then! - but we were careful not to chew on the paintwork! :D ;)