• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c SERIES ?

charles walton

I just bought a D6c,direct drive 3306 engine,direct start,it doesn't have the build plate on it and I can't see the number on the rear housing because of the winch. How can I tell what series it is? 10k,76a ?

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I just bought a D6c,direct drive 3306 engine,direct start,it doesn't have the build plate on it and I can't see the number on the rear housing because of the winch. How can I tell what series it is? 10k,76a ?

Not sure of the D6C's but know many of the older Cat loaders the S/N of the engine was the same as the machine. Also if you can see where the tag was they usually had the numbers stamped in to the frame or engine block either next to or under the tags.

Also just thought, look on the converter and or transmission to see if there are any tags there that might be a clue.

FWD

direct drive would be 74A 63-67, 17R 70-76 These are US built machines. I don't know about 68 and 69 as they don't show anything US built. They do show direct drive for those years U kingdom and Japanese built.
FWD

charles walton

direct drive would be 74A 63-67, 17R 70-76 These are US built machines. I don't know about 68 and 69 as they don't show anything US built. They do show direct drive for those years U kingdom and Japanese built.
FWD
I'm not sure about it being a 3306 but it came with electric start,I don't have it home yet ,I will figure it out then. It needs engine work and I bought it for new undercarriage at a price that I can come out by parting it out but I really want to resurrect it. It has a winch and an angle blade. I can do a lot with it if I can get it working without breaking the bank.

charles walton

FWD
Did the 17r come with a 3306 but looks like a 74a ?

FWD

17R had a D333 engine up to SN 00464, after that a 3306. These would be 72 models. I don't have good knowledge of these tractors, but all I know is from looking to purchase one of these models almost 30 years ago. I remember the 74 and 76A's having a turbocharged engine and the early 10K series not having a turbo. The 10K was a pwer shift tractor sold in the same basic time frame as a 17R. I am using a book called Toolquip which could be wrong. They have in my use to be spot on with the SN info. I hope this helps some, I am by no means an expert on these. At the time I was looking at these I ended up with a TD-15C IH. I had it for 15 years with pretty goo luck, it was a power shift.
FWD

charles walton

17R had a D333 engine up to SN 00464, after that a 3306. These would be 72 models. I don't have good knowledge of these tractors, but all I know is from looking to purchase one of these models almost 30 years ago. I remember the 74 and 76A's having a turbocharged engine and the early 10K series not having a turbo. The 10K was a pwer shift tractor sold in the same basic time frame as a 17R. I am using a book called Toolquip which could be wrong. They have in my use to be spot on with the SN info. I hope this helps some, I am by no means an expert on these. At the time I was looking at these I ended up with a TD-15C IH. I had it for 15 years with pretty goo luck, it was a power shift.
FWD
Thanks, I can't find a whole lot of info on the direct drive 6c except for the 74a.

FWD

17R was made for 7 yrs but only 1285 machines, 74A was made for 5 yrs and 2955 were made. Did you ever find a tag on the engine?
DWF

charles walton

Not sure of the D6C's but know many of the older Cat loaders the S/N of the engine was the same as the machine. Also if you can see where the tag was they usually had the numbers stamped in to the frame or engine block either next to or under the tags.

Also just thought, look on the converter and or transmission to see if there are any tags there that might be a clue.
Definitely a
74A2583 is a 1967 production model with D333Ta engine (4-1/2" bore)
Thanks for that info,I have just ordered a service manual and parts book. I hope to get it moved and start pulling the engine soon.

kshansen

Occupation
Glad to know you have the books on order. I was checking on SIS but does not seem to be anything like that there.

kshansen

Occupation
Not sure but I think the hydraulic system might be considered a separate system from the rest of the machine. Might need a separate parts and service manual for that. Should be a tag on the tank that will give that info.