• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6C Engine Locked When Attempting To Crank

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
450 to 475 seems ample on a working engine as long as it puts out ample power. A worn in engine has less parasitic loss of power and can make more power than a fresh tight engine.

Also in the case of this particle engine the major concern I believe was the chance of a bent rod causing a low compression reading on one cylinder. So being they were all rather close to one another that does not appear to be the case at this time.

With all the variables involved I can understand Cat not wanting to publish hard and fast specifications as some owners would be trying to make all kinds of warranty claims if an engine was 5 psi lower than some specification.

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I would guess that if a rod was bent enough to lower compression, it would have already "shown itself" in other ways. You know what I mean.

It takes a lot of side shift in a beam like this to appreciably shorten the end-to-end distance.

Metalman 55

20170102_110044.jpg20170102_111428.jpg20170102_114345.jpg20170102_114534.jpg

I know that this is very much off subject but this is how my wife & I spent the morning, turning the garage workbench into a makeshift sauerkraut making operation........... It takes a few hours of work but we enjoy the benefits throughout the winter. It likes to have some higher temps to get the fermentation process moving, so I rigged up a regular 120v thermostat to power a 60 watt lightbulb to kick in when needed, set for around 75f & house it all in with a couple of plastic bins. Takes about a month to be ready use. Sorry for being off subject!!

PS.....have a can on the D6C stack now that it is back outside!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I was thinking you might be working on some new Bio-fuel for that D-6?

No comments on what some good sauerkraut might do to me!

oldirt

"And after forgetting to remove before starting a couple times one may learn from their mistakes! "

especially if it manages to come in contact with your noggin on the way down.. like one did for me! I keep the can right next to me in the cab.

hosspuller

Had this cap on the exhaust pipe that doubled the operating noise by rattling and clanking !!

A bean can serves well... painted, it looks professional. If I forget, it usually clears the hood and hits the ground on start-up.

bh cap.jpgbhcan.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just had one of those completely disintegrate on me.

It looked like it could not handle the vibration and just wallered out the pivot hole in no time flat.

I don't know what the problem was.

D6c10K

I've had the one on my D6 for about 4 years (pic from above) without any problem. Don't know the brand but it's well built. The limb risers protect it pretty well because my exhaust is fairly short.... it's possible it could still get hit....just have to keep your eyes open.

I can't imagine it making the exhaust any louder.....the only time it might flap open/closed is at idle, otherwise it's held open by the exhaust.
They've been using flaps on farm tractors for quite a few decades....if they didn't work they would have done away with them.

I've seen the wind blow cans /buckets off quite a few times. They work good but it needs a bungee cord holding the bucket on for safety.

Last edited:

oldirt

big coffee can fits close and will not blow off. had one of those super rain caps on for about 5 hours and a better grade of limb broke it off, and bent up the end of the pipe.

just put the can on it.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

D6c10k.. Raincaps are a pain in the arse. Don't rely on them.

They will get bent, they will waller out the pivots and rattle and clang and they will stick open and direct water down the stack.

Cheers.

Metalman 55

20170106_141629.jpg

Here are the results of the engine oil analysis on the D6C. I don't know the first thing about reading the results, but where is says "No Action Required" I know is good.:) The news continues to be positive though. I still think it sounds a bit off but could easily be my imagination though. We put 1 new injector tip in the affected cylinder a week ago. I decided to order the other 5 & they are in now, so hope to put them in early next week. The machine has not really been working since the mishap except for testing, so after the injector tip change out I will be ready to try it out again after the next heavy snow, which will likely be soon. We are overdue for our first heavy snow of the season.........

oarwhat

When this happened to mine it didn't sound just right. Since is was just an old plow truck we just ran it though the winter. Next spring we found a bent a push rod. I'd take a look at yours and check the valve lash while your in there. Just spin them to check for out of round. I'll bet one is slightly bent.

oldirt

I hadn't thought of the push rod thing, sounds like it might be the last thing you have to check out.

Metalman 55

When this happened to mine it didn't sound just right. Since is was just an old plow truck we just ran it though the winter. Next spring we found a bent a push rod. I'd take a look at yours and check the valve lash while your in there. Just spin them to check for out of round. I'll bet one is slightly bent.

I guess with a bent push rod we could still have full compression, as ours tested good across the board?

oarwhat

Yes it will effect power and make it sound funny. On mine it was really bent and sounded somewhat like a miss and it smoked more.