• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6-9U Starter Flywheel:What does a stuck/seized Flywheel mean?

BigYellowDozer

Just as the title says. I'm not sure why it's now stuck. It was rotating freely, but now you cannot rotate the Flywheel with a rope. What can be done to free the Flywheel to rotate again?

Thank You.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not familiar with a D6-9U, I'm guessing this is an old machine with a gasoline pony motor to start it?

How long since it ran last?

First thing I might be tempted try would be to remove spark plug(s) and see if it will turn over now.

Can you put a wrench on something to try turning it backwards a bit?

A little more history and maybe a couple pictures would help.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hydraulic lock, either via gas flowing through to the combustion chambers from the fuel tank because the fuel tap wasn't turned off - or water down the exhaust into the combustion chambers.

Water may have rusted the rings to the cylinder walls, if it's been left for some extended amount of time.

As kshansen says, pull the spark plugs and then pull it over with the rope, see if it turns over and if anything comes out of the spark plug holes.
If it still doesn't turn, squirt some penetrant with a can with a spray tube into the plug holes, spreading it around with the spray tube, and then leave it to soak.

BigYellowDozer

Not familiar with a D6-9U, I'm guessing this is an old machine with a gasoline pony motor to start it?

How long since it ran last?

First thing I might be tempted try would be to remove spark plug(s) and see if it will turn over now.

Can you put a wrench on something to try turning it backwards a bit?

A little more history and maybe a couple pictures would help.
Thank You. Yes, it's an older machine with a gas pony motor. This was purchased with an electric starter back in 1995. My Dad only had it for a handful of years before he past away-never using the Electric starter. However, now opening up the starter (which I cleaned and is responding) needs to have the larger gear replaced because it's badly warn. So he never could of used the Electric start to begin with.

This machine was last started around 2000 or 2001.

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_153032981_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230428_153032981_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230428_153106310_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230428_153106310_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230918_183938747.jpg
    IMG_20230918_183938747.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230918_183958751.jpg
    IMG_20230918_183958751.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40

BigYellowDozer

I've tried all that has been suggested with no fruitful outcomes. I did notice that the drain cock on the Left Hand side has no liquid draining while the Right side did.

Before adding fuel to the Pony, I removed the carburetor, disassembled it, cleaned it, and reinstalled, something about a float needle not seating properly that may have allowed unwanted fuel to flow into the engine?

Would this be a good idea or a bad idea? Would the electric starter free the hydro lock? Not that I can do that right at this moment anyhow.

Thank You.

kshansen

Occupation
Maybe I'm not fully awake, waiting for coffee to brew!, are we talking about the pony engine flywheel not moving or the diesel engine flywheel not moving?

If this machine has been setting for 20 plus years I would not be surprised if both were rusted up in the cylinders. Before getting in too deep I would make sure the big diesel engine will turn over some how by hand.

BigYellowDozer

The wheel was moving fine when I first started working on it. However, I did find out that the radiator fan would not freely move. Maybe I need to just keep at it. But the Radiator fan-that's another thing I need to further investigate.

56wrench

Those little pup engines are easy to remove the cyl heads from and if you are careful you can reuse the head gaskets. They are copper. You will have to drain the coolant first though. Make sure the main starter pinion is released from the diesel engine flywheel or it may be hard to turn by the fan blades

BigYellowDozer

With the radiator drained, I took one cap off and the wheel was freed. And this is what was under the cap.

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_113205671_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230929_113205671_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230929_113623274_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230929_113623274_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230929_113159681_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230929_113159681_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 40

BigYellowDozer

Due to all the crud that had built up over time, I noticed the small hole in the cap that leads to the drain cock was plugged; preventing any draining to clear the Hydraulic lock.

kshansen

Occupation
Due to all the crud that had built up over time, I noticed the small hole in the cap that leads to the drain cock was plugged; preventing any draining to clear the Hydraulic lock.
So does it turn over free now? Hard to tell from the pictures the condition of the bore for the piston, is that just crap on the bore or is the bore that bad?

56wrench

While you’re there, you might as well dig out the ‘mud’ that has settled out of the coolant and plugged the passages. The other side of the pup engine’s coolant passages are probably the same way

BigYellowDozer

So does it turn over free now? Hard to tell from the pictures the condition of the bore for the piston, is that just crap on the bore or is the bore that bad?
Yes, the wheel is now freely spinning-no movements in other directions, nice and snug. The Bores are smooth. That was just crud on the inside. Witness marks from the rings on the edge of the Bore where it rested.