• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5mxl

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here's the Troubleshooting Procedure. Worst case scenario the quad guage unit may have failed but do all the harness tests first before officially declaring it dead. Note that if the procedure indicates that the module is dead it recommends repeating all the tests a 2nd time just to make sure.

Attachments

• CID819 FMI02.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 17

Nige

Sorry to hear that. I hope you did all the tests a second time as recommended in the troubleshooting procedure before declaring the unit dead.

Be careful about the Part Number for the quad gauge. There appear to be various Part Numbers depending on whether the machine has a cab or not, and also what Serial Number range the tractor falls into. The options are: -
6GN0001-1532 cab
6GN1533-2126 cab
6GN2127-Up cab
6GN00001-1148 open ROPS
6GN-1149-1632 open ROPS
6GN-1533-2126 open ROPS
6GN2127-Up open ROPS
Which group does your machine fall into..?

Nige

Cheeky SOB's............ they could have told you the initialization procedure. You can do it yourself.

You need to find the Harness Code Plug. It's a grey or black rectangular 6-pin connector located right next to the ECM for the powertrain under the LH console that doesn't seem to go anywhere. All it has a a couple of short jumper leads going from one pin to another. Shown by the arrow in the photo.

upload_2019-5-1_9-13-10.png

1. Both the battery master switch and the key switch should be OFF.
2. Remove the Harness Code Plug.
3. Turn the Master Switch ON and then do the same with the key switch.
4. The Monitor Panel will power up and various indicators will illuminate.
5. Wait at least 10 seconds then turn the key switch OFF. (Master Switch stays ON).
6. Reinstall the Harness Code Plug.
7. Turn the key switch ON and verify that the Monitor Panel completes its self-test correctly.

Big Creek Op

The part # has changed again on the control mod . Cat says the ECM has to be updated. New part# 10r-5894

Last edited:

Nige

The 10R-5984 that the dealer sold you is known as EMS III. Your machine was built with EMS II and so the ECM has to be loaded with upgraded software to make it compatible. My bad, I missed that upgrade.

However if the dealer has (or can make or borrow from another one of their stores) a Bypass Harness for the ECM it should not be necessary to take the tractor to them. You could simply remove the ECM and they could flash it in their shop. I used to flash ECMs while I was sitting at my desk.

See attached. Even if the dealer has a machine of a similar type sitting in their shop (fair chance - t's a list 6 pages long) they could temporarily install your ECM on a machine to flash it, meaning a Bypass Harness would be unecessary.

Attachments

• REHS7365.pdf
    303.4 KB · Views: 26

Big Creek Op

I hauled the dozer to cat for update.service manager calls 4 hours later says new module I put on is bad want update to ems111 . I thought it was ems111 he says ecm has nothing to do with it. I thought the ecm had to be updated to ems111 to be compatible with the new module?

Nige

I must be brain-dead today........ :oops::oops:
The software has to be flashed into the new 10R-5894 Monitor System Module, not the Power Train ECM. See about half-way down Page 9 for the details. I saw the bypass harness and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

The Module you bought is EMS III by the way. See the attachment. The EMS III Module for your D5M is P/N 252-4501. 10R-5894 is listed as the Reman option for 252-4501.

Attachments

• M0070220.pdf
    199 KB · Views: 10

Big Creek Op

I don't understand why I buy the part cat says is for my machine.Then put said part on my machine.Then have to carry it to cat to program the part.when they could flash the part with it off the machine.

Nige

100% correct, and you should be confronting the Service Manager with the document from post my #13 above as proof.

Again, apologies for the confusion between the Monitor and the Power Train ECM, but either way it should only have been necessary to carry an electronic component to the dealership and have them program it there, not the complete machine.

Big Creek Op

The new module I installed would not flash. Cat said bad module so they ordered another one installed it at cat.It would not flash also.They determined it was wrong one. They ordered another one it worked. And it fixed the gauge problem.Thanks for help Nige !

Big Creek Op

10r-5894 was the right one and that was the # on the box.But the # on the module was a new #. It was not a reman #. Cat said it was a packaging error.