• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5h

buddfalen

I am considering a 1994 D5H ll with a 6way cab and ripper. It has high hours (11,000) but is represented as solid condition and most of the under carriage is new. Any thoughts on this era fo dozer, including price range, and what to watch out for would be appreciated.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
if this is a retail situation or if you have time have a mechanic look at it and do an ispection plan to pay $500-$1000 to have this done depending on how far from there store it is it could pay for itself 20to1 pretty easy. things to look for before you call the mechanic is 1: pivot shaft area (this is where the swing frame connects to the tractor and rotates back and forth) is it leaking? does it look loose? then pivot bar how does it look? this connects left and right swing frames just behind idlers. All pat dozer connections are all bearings in place is there any major weld repairs? are they good repairs? then if you don't call the mechanic at this point pull the floor board (9/16 wrench) out warm tractor up put foot on brake put in all gears forward and reverse one at a time, does driveline stop spinning in all gears eventually at high idle, it may drive through brakes in first f&r. the mechanic can check pressures on trans brake and clutches which can easily show a failure that you can't feel until its to late. do gauges work or warning lights all come on in key on and go off when started? thats it for now...................theironoracle

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
With that kind of hours I think you will need to plan on overhauling the engine and all the powertrain components sooner rather than later, unless they have been done already. Not necessarily a deal-breaker if the price is right, just something you will have to budget for in the near future.

theironoracle

Occupation
i forgot 30-$50,000 depending on condition and series for price, i second what nige says about hours and repairs...............theironoracle

buddfalen

Thanks

I am going to try and get a mechanic to go look. The machine is in Denver which is about 100 miles away.

buddfalen

I have a follow up question. What is a good number to allow for overhauling the engine and power train? With that many hours it has had a lot of mantence or is going to need some. I am told the engine is strong an that the maintenance history is available but I do nothave it yet.

Thanks

theironoracle

Occupation
buddfalen, on the overhaul it all depends of course, to drop this thing off with a mechanic and have an inframe done with a head, final rebearings with seals and clutch and brake frictions, trans done with frictions and seals and bearings it will hit $20,000 easily, the last trans in a d5h i did (look under shop talk "all in a days (or two) work pictures) was quoted at around $16,000 that was just rebuild did not include r&r or torque, it had some hard parts failed in it. don't give up on a bad inspection just use it to negotiate with, you may not find a d5h that doesn't need some sort of repair..............theironoracle

buddfalen

We looked at D5H. I seems to be in good shape. We checked everything mentioned above and a few more. I think I am going to take a run at buying it. Thanks for the help.