• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G no forward or reverse

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
January 18, 2012

D5G

Serial Number 5XK33044
Model Number 3046
Arrangement Number 1745998

2009 the cab was removed to fix the heater and all test port lines were removed and plugged at the source.

August 2011

Operator noticed oil leaked out on the ground. Stopped the machine and checked it over to find a hose under the cab was leaking. 2 pails of hydraulic oil was added to get the machine to move from the work area to a place where repairs could be made. That night someone on nightshift tried using the machine but never told anyone. The dayshift operator found the wire to the reset fuse had arched off and other little signs that someone tried to use the machine.
The D5G was then loaded on a low bed using a big front end loader and returned to the shop. It sat until December 2011 when the staff decided to work on it. The cab was removed and 4 hoses were removed for replacement. These 4 medium size hoses run from the hydraulic pumps up to the filters and back. A week later the hoses arrive but the employee who removed them didn’t mark where they came from and is no longer employed with the company. It was a group discussion on how the hoses should be hooked up and the cab was reinstalled. The machine was test ran with the blade and winch working but no forwards or backwards movement. The hoses were changed around with the cab lifted. The cab is now block up in the air so work can be completed on this machine. Another test run and still no forward or backwards movement. The crew is stumped and don’t know what to do.

Correct routing of the 4 hoses???

Is the hydraulic pump burnt???

Is there and air lock in the system???

The joystick controller acts dead so is the computer fired because of the wire to the reset burnt off???? But the gear shift indictor on the dash still works when shifting on the joystick.

Did someone boost the 12 volt cat with 24 volts???

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• D5G problems jan 17 2012 001.jpg
    D5G problems jan 17 2012 001.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 947
  • D5G problems jan 17 2012 002.jpg
    D5G problems jan 17 2012 002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 936
  • D5G problems jan 17 2012 003.jpg
    D5G problems jan 17 2012 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 988

d9gdon

Just thinking out loud here, having had a D4G from new and putting about 6000 hours on in 4 years but you won't have a burnt wire from a circuit breaker without a major wiring problem. That breaker will kick the voltage out before it'll burn a wire. Jumping that 12 volt system with 24 volts will kick the breaker. I would look at the service manual first to see if you hooked up the hydraulic lines correctly first to the hydraulic pump. The manual will have a hydraulic schematic so you'll know it's right. Someone on here might can tell you off hand and I realize that's why you're asking the question, but a service manual is invaluable and not that expensive on Ebay. I know you're out in the country a bit.

The joystick only moves a proximity switch(I think that's what they're called) to tell the hydraulics what to do. Sounds like you've got a bad wiring harness on the joystick that's got a short circuit to burn the wire. I wouldn't doubt that the wire that shorted out melted the hydraulic hose that leaked in the first place. Those hoses are not old enough to leak and I've been around a dozen of those G series that never had any problems like that.

My new D4G had a recall on it about 4 months after I bought it where they had to replace some screws on the joystick switch with ones coated with Locktite to keep them from backing out. That was in 2004 though.

I think you're dealing with two different problems though. Hope this helps. I don't have the service manual or I'd post some schematics.

dblaneyfan

Let's start with the easy part. What are the part numbers on the hoses?

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk guys, got the parts book pages by email and check the hoses and the boys have them installed correctly. of course theysaid they never checked the hoses for part number when they sent them to the hose shop 300km away.

next can we put a pressure gauge on the test port on top of the pumps to see what they are reading???

the joystick thing was taken apart and no loose wires or screws.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Last edited: