• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G LGP park brake adjustment?

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
My mechanics are struggling to figure out how to adjust the park break on this dozer. The dozer park brake wont hold on a 3to1 slope and the service brake wont hold as well?
Any Ideas?
Looked at the operators and service manual called CAT and they have no Idea!
Thanks Kris

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Machine Serial Number (there are 5 different S/N prefixes of D5G) and an e-mail address please. Send them to me by PM if you don't want to post them here. I'll flip you the relevant pages of the service manual regarding brake testing & adjustment.

Bob/Ont

My mechanics are struggling to figure out how to adjust the park break on this dozer. The dozer park brake wont hold on a 3to1 slope and the service brake wont hold as well?
Any Ideas?
Looked at the operators and service manual called CAT and they have no Idea!
Thanks Kris

Your brakes are likely worn out. If you have a hystat they have disc brakes behind the drive motors, spring apply oil release.
Later Bob

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
I know nothing about D5 G But with my D4 H the brakes were naturally ON and applying brake required oil pressure.
Therefor machine has max brakes with eng stopped. Also if wont hold with engine off,would surely mean rather serious problems.
However I found linkage adjustment was not releasing pressure,and was a very easy fix.
Perhaps your machine is hydrostatic ??? In that case treat all the above with the ignorance it deserves.
Regards