• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G Joystick- Speed Selector

w38571

We have a D5G WGB 02400, The dozer will (occasionally) go to the lowest speed setting & will not adjust up into higher speed until the dozer is completely shut off & restarted, then before moving we can adjust the speed up. Most of the time it will stay in an higher setting.
Thinking that is a joystick/speed selector problem ? Anyone had this speed problem

w38571

No, don't know how to access the Diagnostic Codes, Can the Joystick be tested ?

Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No, don't know how to access the Diagnostic Codes
See the attachment. Get the list of Diagnostic Codes (I am sure there will be some) and we can go from there.

If you look in the area of the fuse panel you will find the Harness Code Plug (#2) and the Diagnostic Indicator lamp (#4).

With the key OFF, remove the zip tie and open up the Harness Code Plug connector. You will find that only one side of it is actually connected to the machine, the other is just a few loops of black cable jumpering various pins of the connector.
Identify the Pin Numbers of the connector. they are moulded into the body. You need to find Pins 1, 2, & 3. You will also need a short piece of automotive wire to act as a jumper.

If you have any questions please ask.

1694702490979.png

Attachments

• RENR7313-03 - Diagnostic Indicator.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 4

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
When was the last time the machine was calibrated?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
CM makes a good point. The electrohydraulic system does require regular calibration.

May not be the problem however a G series dozer develops speed issues over time that are easily fixed with calibration.

What we've experienced is slower speeds going forward and normal speed in reverse without changing the ground speed on the joystick.

nowing75

funny you should ask. Field guys called me yesterday and ours is doing the same thing. Sometime in the morning it only will go low speed. Was runing it yesterday and said it droped speed on its own. Im going to look at it Monday and let ya know what i find.

w38571

funny you should ask. Field guys called me yesterday and ours is doing the same thing. Sometime in the morning it only will go low speed. Was runing it yesterday and said it droped speed on its own. Im going to look at it Monday and let ya know what i find.
That is thee same thing ours is doing, let us know how you fixed yours. I am going to get the list of Diagnostic Codes, as Nige shown above.

nowing75

I'm getting a left speed sensor code and its full of oil so going to replace it but not for sure that will fix it or not. Looking into the wiring now.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm getting a left speed sensor code and its full of oil so going to replace it but not for sure that will fix it or not. Looking into the wiring now.
A sensor full of oil is an indication that it has failed. Depending on your machine age a sensor update may apply requiring additional parts over and above a new sensor. IIRC the electrical connectors on the new sensors are different.

nowing75

A sensor full of oil is an indication that it has failed. Depending on your machine age a sensor update may apply requiring additional parts over and above a new sensor. IIRC the electrical connectors on the new sensors are different.
you are correct it does not come with the new connector but i had one in my truck. Finishing up another project now then see if it corrects the problem.

Tyler d4c

G series basic first steps of troubleshooting
1 battery voltage
2 try a calibration
3 speed sensors
Always seems it's those 3 with the gs