• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5B help

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
We ve had a bad run of luck at the landfill. Our 518 compactor conversion puked the motor. And then we bought another one a spare while the mechanic was working on this one. Well it wentdown for a few days and we got behind as the Cat and our other mechanic companies are backed up.

I got the new to us 518 on the move again and now my D5B quit pulling. I was spreading for the compactor yester day catch in up on the 70 40 yard loads dumped out. I noticed the transmission temp gauge getting out of normal and I headed upthe bank. Well about 3/4s up the ramp it lost a little pull. I got the 518 to assist me upthe hill and I went to change the filter. There was a few particles of red silicon in the screen. We eaed it up on a more levelsurface with the compactor and I noticed where i was sitting was a puddle of oil. I looked and sure enough theres a leak.

I was wondering if there was a line or something that could have been sheared in the under belly. Every 6 months we pullthe pans to clean out the dust and sticks that get some how sneak into the belly pan. I found several sticks in the transmission compartment. Im gonnago get some plywood to roll a jack around on the sand and see if I can pull the rear pan. I dream of a day when we can get some new stuff lol.

Clearing Land

I have had this problem with my D5B, twice, first time the transmission was reading a little hotter than norm. Got to looking and talking with a converter/transmission guy, Come to find out the tube from the bottom of the transmission that runs to the filter housing and then to pump gotten pinched. It was restriction oil flow. It also had a small leak which made the convertor suck air. Put a new tube on and fixed the problem.

Also two weeks ago, I was pushing up a pile of trees, a limb worked it way into the bellypan and pushed the same line about two inches, which created a oil leak. The machine stopped dead in tracks. We tin solder the lead, but the pipe was bend out of wack, so got a new line and went back to normal.

Clearing Land

Again, you dont have to remove the rear belly pan, their is a small plate about 10" by 6" or so are the bottom of trans, remove the 4 big bolts and the end of tube will the there, two bolts, and the other end goes to a clamp/hose. Take out floor plate, it will be under oil filter housing. The belly pan removal will be easier but not necessary.

Assuming no changes in serial #, the part you need is 8P-2284, Cat #.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Thanks CL we pulled thebelly pan it was pathetic dhow much stuff built up in it the last 4 months. We get tons of styrofoam and long inch wide stripps. THe tube has been pinched before but this was a lucky strip to the rubber hose. We finisihed yesterday at quitting time. Been quicker butthe rubber tube was 1 and 5/8ths ad heck gettin it in podunkville. We had to run to the plant and spread RAP last night so I didnt get to try it out.