• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D51 pxi

Greasyfitting

Got a D51 pxi coding L01 Ca1942 crankcase sensor in range error. I've never heard of a in range error before. I've heard of out range any help would be appreciated. SO is B20467

coalrulz

Komatsu started using in-range errors as far back as Tier 3 machines. Out of Range faults are the ECM receiving <0.25v or >4.75 volts back on the signal wire. Komatsu usually calls Short Low (short to ground) <0.25v or Short High (short to power) >4.75v. In-Range faults are described as not being Short Low or Short High but signal voltage back to the ECM is not what the ECM expects to see. In your example the Crankcase Pressure sensor monitors the condition of the KCCV (crankcase filter) may want to change it before further troubleshooting.

Greasyfitting

Komatsu started using in-range errors as far back as Tier 3 machines. Out of Range faults are the ECM receiving <0.25v or >4.75 volts back on the signal wire. Komatsu usually calls Short Low (short to ground) <0.25v or Short High (short to power) >4.75v. In-Range faults are described as not being Short Low or Short High but signal voltage back to the ECM is not what the ECM expects to see. In your example the Crankcase Pressure sensor monitors the condition of the KCCV (crankcase filter) may want to change it before further troubleshooting.
I just changed it today with the 2k hours service the codes still showing.

ChuckRock

I just changed it today with the 2k hours service the codes still showing.

Do you have the ability to do a data log?

Was there residual oil in the kccv canister? There is a check valve in the drain line that is prone to sticking.

The kccv pressure sensor should drain condensation naturally but that could be worth a check as well.

Greasyfitting

Was there residual oil in the kccv canister? There is a check valve in the drain line that is prone to sticking.

The kccv pressure sensor should drain condensation naturally but that could be worth a check as well.
I don't have data log the dealer in my area does though. The filter wasn't really that dirty as I expected it to be.

Greasyfitting

There was some oil residue in the filter housing.

ChuckRock

The filter is a coalescing element that breaks down larger HC droplets found in the crankcase vapors - it really won’t get super nasty. You will see oil residue, oil collecting is an issue. Is the code causing a power derate at all?

There is constant depression regulator built into the kccv as well that allows the vapors to enter the low pressure inlet at idle. I’ve seen these fail as well.

A data log would be ideal for this situation. You are in Komatsu country down in GA after all

Greasyfitting

The filter is a coalescing element that breaks down larger HC droplets found in the crankcase vapors - it really won’t get super nasty. You will see oil residue, oil collecting is an issue. Is the code causing a power derate at all?

There is constant depression regulator built into the kccv as well that allows the vapors to enter the low pressure inlet at idle. I’ve seen these fail as well.

A data log would be ideal for this situation. You are in Komatsu country down in GA after all
The machine is currently has 10 minutes before derate kicks in.