• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4E winch

rchamberlain1

I have a 78 series D4D with a d4e winch. the free wheel-engage lever is stuck engaged. It took considerable force to get it engaged. I assume it hasten’t been used for years. My manual is for a d4d winch. It shows 4 bolts in the inspection plate top left. 2 bolts are visible at the back. Cannot see any under the tank. Doesn’t look like there is enough clearance for any. Are there some counter sunk screws? What can’t I see. Is there any problem leaving it engaged other than not being able to free spool? i can pry the plate up at the back but it will not come off. Not looking forward to pull the tank.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
The free spool is a hassle to stop once its starts , once released it can't be engaged till it stops . Usually leaving the wire rope in a mess of crossed wires . Probably why its stuck now is from lack of use , wisely I think .

rchamberlain1

I have a 78 series D4D with a d4e winch. the free wheel-engage lever is stuck engaged. It took considerable force to get it engaged. I assume it hasten’t been used for years. My manual is for a d4d winch. It shows 4 bolts in the inspection plate top left. 2 bolts are visible at the back. Cannot see any under the tank. Doesn’t look like there is enough clearance for any. Are there some counter sunk screws? What can’t I see. Is there any problem leaving it engaged other than not being able to free spool? i can pry the plate up at the back but it will not come off. Not looking forward to pull the tank.
My mistake. It’s A 83j series

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hyster D4D and D4E winchs are exactly the same, except D4E has the later dual drilled 3/4 and 7/8 stud holes that you can see in OM picture. Internally they are the same. And yes is countersunk screws in that top plate. usually right under the fuel tank
Epirbalex is 100% right in what he says about the freespool. Winch rope usually birdnests itself into a huge mess when you pull winch lever into free spool.
If you do get it free and want to use it, make sure its 100% engaged before you use it under power.
When it is in freewheel drum will turn super easy. 'IF' it seems abit tighish, put a prybar or small jack under drum to see if you have any movement in drum on its shaft. Should be absolutely nothing. If there is, drum bearing on the RHS is on its way out. And eventually will cause bearing to collapse and it will take out teeth on drum bullgear and pinion. Seen 2 like that in my life. One was scrap other i made 1 winch out of 2. Gears no longer made