• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4d wet flywheel housing?

hflbz

Does the 3304 engine in a d4d have a wet flywheel housing? I drained some oil out of the flywheel housing and didn't know if it was supposed to be in there or not thanks. Powershift transmission

Ct Farmer

That is a lot. How long did it take to accumulate? Mine weeps a bit even though it is new but I only get a few drips.

hflbz

It probably hasn't been drained in 20 years to be honest I know the previous owners didn't do much maintenance

hflbz

It probably is the rear main seal just wanted to be certain it wasn't a wet flywheel housing

Ct Farmer

You can do a rear main with the engine in but it is a real pain. Just watch it and keep adding oil unless it gets real bad.

If you do it get the old style seal. Cat has a new one with a sleeve that is meant to be used if there is a wear spot on the crank. They supply that one as standard. I used that one when we rebuilt it and it weeps. I even had the Cat tech come and install it with the special tool just to be sure it was set right. Easier to pay $50 then make a tool. Problem is their tool sets it too deep and it barely catches the lip. Shoulda done it myself or used the old style.

hflbz

You can do a rear main with the engine in but it is a real pain. Just watch it and keep adding oil unless it gets real bad.

If you do it get the old style seal. Cat has a new one with a sleeve that is meant to be used if there is a wear spot on the crank. They supply that one as standard. I used that one when we rebuilt it and it weeps. I even had the Cat tech come and install it with the special tool just to be sure it was set right. Easier to pay $50 then make a tool. Problem is their tool sets it too deep and it barely catches the lip. Shoulda done it myself or used the old style.

Thanks for the info!