• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4D Flywheel Clutch Frozen

Cat3006

Hi All - I recently bought a D4D 85A and have put a few hrs on it without issue. I parked it up after a couple of hrs of work and must have shut it down with the flywheel clutch disengaged (lever in the forward position). I started it up a couple of hours later and the lever is stuck there. I disengaged the brake from the clutch linkage to see if that was it but no luck. I checked there were no issues in the linkage by attempting to engage the clutch straight off the housing with a stilson and it is definitely frozen. I was wondering what it might be and if there's anything I can try/adjust before looking at other options? I haven't had a chance to buy a service manual and am pretty new to dozers. Thanks in advance!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Cat3006;)! The CAT guys will be along shortly, but they will need a serial number.

Cat3006

So after a bit of research I think the clutch may have adjusted itself so much it can't re-engage. I got hold of a maintenance manual and found the adjusting process (attached). Just wondering if anyone knows which way to rotate the ring to slacken the adjustment? I've attached a photo of the adjustment ring through the compartment cover and you can see quite a few threads exposed on the ring - not sure if it is meant to look like that?

Attachments

• Clutch.png
    Clutch.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 26
  • D4D clutch.png
    D4D clutch.png
    861 KB · Views: 23

Old Magnet

Turning the adjusting ring clockwise (as viewed from the seat) tightens the adjustment. Typical adjustment is about 3" movement of the adjustment ring.
Do not over tighten the clamp nuts/studs, they have been known to strip and can turn in to a big job to recover. Also possible the clamps are worn to where they won't hold position.

Cat3006

Turning the adjusting ring clockwise (as viewed from the seat) tightens the adjustment. Typical adjustment is about 3" movement of the adjustment ring.
Do not over tighten the clamp nuts/studs, they have been known to strip and can turn in to a big job to recover. Also possible the clamps are worn to where they won't hold position.
Thanks Old Magnet! By 3" of movement of the adjusting ring do you mean unwind it to expose an extra 3" of thread on the ring? That would be quite a number of turns looking at the thread pitch?

dozr

Occupation
excaving
j was aways told 50 pound of pull on d 5 never went that tight cause i was one that had to pull it, all day