• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d4c hystat

Dustin

I just started a part time job running equipment. I have ran cat powershift dozers and komatsu but I have never ran a small hystat dozer. I dont want to look like a newbie when i start running it because I am being paid more hourly based on experience. Are there any tricks to hystat operation? Is it similar in control to a cat skidsteer? I know it is supposed to be a finish machine but it looks like it would be difficult to make things look smooth with it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Don't fret it Dustin, the hystat machines are a breeze to operate. I have a D5G and it's a nice little dozer to operate. The left joystick controls the speed and direction and the right controls the blade. I am not familiar with the C series hystat but the G's have a the speed control (slow to fast) on the joystick.

There should also be a decal pedal just like a powershift but it only slows the engine down which also slows the track speed down. It's nice for inching around obstacles and fine grading around structures. I prefer to set the track speed for the task I am doing and use the decal pedal as a throttle.

You should pick it up quickly and it should be easier to operate than a PS.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
they have high and low, operate exactly like a skiddy with how far you push the lever forward/backwards. dont worry you'll get the hang of it in no time and then be trhowing rocks at PS machines ;)

pj

ih100

they have high and low, operate exactly like a skiddy with how far you push the lever forward/backwards. dont worry you'll get the hang of it in no time and then be trhowing rocks at PS machines ;)

pj

Do the older hystats operate differently to the K's? I've only been on K hystats where the lever locks into position. Never seen a hystat C over here.

D3DaveC

Super slick to operate, just push the stick to whichever way you want to go. You will pick it up quick.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Do the older hystats operate differently to the K's? I've only been on K hystats where the lever locks into position. Never seen a hystat C over here.

The G's work the same way. The joystick locks into position, you control the track speed with the two buttons on the joystick, I have never ran a C model.

Dustin

Well i got to run it, was pretty easy to get the hang of running it...I was not impressed with the pushing ability had a hard time pushing over little trees, it would just spin the tracks. I did a decent job of finishing with it at first I was cautious and was trying to finish too slow and it looked bad. After a couple attempts at slow I put it in rabbit loaded up the blade and went to town just like on the larger dozers and just wasted the pile at the end of the push. I went back with a skidsteer to fix any lumpy spots but there wasnt much to fix. Best thing was that I was by myself so I could take my time and not get frusterated trying to rush and impress someone. Oh and you have to hold the stick the direction you want to go the whole time just like the cat skids.