• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4 or JD450?

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
I do a lot of ditching for 10 with my old D4 but i want something now that goes backward as fast as forward. I see 1994 machines selling for around $20K but am having a ruff time deciding between Cat Vs John Deere for what i do. I also move brush and many things i do require delicate movement....moving large objects and such, nothing beat my old manual clutch and gear shift for fine movement. I've only run 2 Hydrostatt machines in my life. Any advise please from you who have had the pleasure of running these new automatic transmission machines? I've heard the JD is hard to work on? The Cat D3 looks a little small, it may have more power than my old D4 but looks lighter.

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
Don,t worry you will love the hydro_Once you get on to it you will never go back.
I think all the smaller machines are hard to work on.
Male sure when checking it out you warm the hydro up good.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
thanks for the optimistic note there.....and the tip.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
In my opinion a D3 will push rings around a 450. D3C has three speeds ahead and 3 in reverse. The Deeres are a real bit-- to work on. D4 is about the same weight as a D3 but more power. I would go for the Cat in a heart beat.

jarrod white

I have had my JD 650H for 4 years, and I have done a lot of the maintenance and repairs myself. I have never worked on a cat, but I don't find the JD very hard to work on at all. Hydro is sweet too.

New to forum, great info found here.

JW

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I think Deere makes the best small dozers.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I have ran a 450H, I thought it was a lot nicer then smaller Cat's.

D6 and up get a Cat, anything smaller get a Deere.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
I have never felt my D4G was underpowered. Too light, (or too small maybe :) ), but I've always spun tracks long before it ever bogged down. Can't speak for the Deeres...

cummins05

Im a CAT dozer fan to the max but must admit for smaller trimming and jobs like spreading top soil in ditches I am going to be sending out a Deere.

I agree with EGS anything 6 and up get a CAT

Bubba

Occupation
Locomotive Engineer, Property Management, Clearing
Get you a Bobcat Skid Steer and you can run circles around a small dozer. On top of that its easy to transport and more versatile. Added to that you can get about 36 attacments to use with it. I run them all, but if you are limited on the money you want to spend and want to get the job done, Get a Bobcat - "ITS ONE TOUGH ANIMAL"

cummins05

Get you a Bobcat Skid Steer and you can run circles around a small dozer. On top of that its easy to transport and more versatile. Added to that you can get about 36 attacments to use with it. I run them all, but if you are limited on the money you want to spend and want to get the job done, Get a Bobcat - "ITS ONE TOUGH ANIMAL"

Now thats funny LOL thanks for the laugh bud.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
well guys, I will be looking at the deere's a lot closer...i know the bobcat is versatile but for the time i could utilize it i'll hire it.
Thanks, Jim