• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3G LGP?

McQueen

Any thoughts on a D3G LGP? I've sold my bigger machines and down sizing. Picked up a Yanmar 55 excavator and looking for a small dozer to work with the excavator. For small clearing and pad building, grading and cutting in driveway and such.
I need to stay under 17,500lb for my single axle dump and tag trailer.

McQueen

Probably did not do the best at wording my question. Let me start over. Anyone who has experience running a small dozer like a 450 deere or D3 size machine. Do they have enough hp and weight to do some small clearing jobs? I had a old John Deere 350 years ago, it was ok but not great. A 40hp tractor would push about as good as it did. But I have never run a D3 or 450 size Hydrostat.

Welder Dave

I think it should work as well as any other machine in it's weight class. For clearing if you had some bigger tree's, you could dig them out with the excavator.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've got a D5G XL, bought it new in 2004 and now has 6K hrs on the clock. It's been a great dozer but it has higher HP and weight than a D3G.

Our D5G does great with fine grading, small volume dozing jobs and light clearing. It can handle 6-8" pines easily and 6-8" hardwoods depending on species relatively easy.

Jonas302

We run a 450G its handy as a shirt pocket for driveways, ditching and such It would do some light clearing paired with a mini ex

Tinkerer

I see in your second post you added hydro-static drive to your inquiry.
I spent an extensive amount of time on both the John Deere and D3 with hydro-static drive and 6 way blade.
My favorite was/is the JD. I could go on and on why, but you should rent or get a demo machine of both of them and decide which one you would buy.
Both are good machines to pair up with an excavator for small tree clearing. Big trees require a bigger dozer if you want decent removal production.

McQueen

Thank you all for the information! I have been doing custom farm work for several years with a Cat 320 hoe and D5N, had a D7H also but customers in my area didn't want to pay for the hourly pay on the 7 so it didn't get run all that much. In the last few years, most all the farmers have bought nice Dozers and Excavators for themselves. And now my area is saturated with larger machines. And yes, I bet you have already figured it out,they all want to do custom work for all there neighbors. lol So I decided to sell out and do something else. I am going to try to pick up smaller jobs for the general public. With a small single axle dump and small excavator and dozer. And get away from the larger clearing jobs and such.
Again thanks for the response and feedback.