• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3C

TQM

Will a CAT D3 dozer push over and pile up pine trees up to 6-8” at breast? I have purchased land and it has about 40 acres of planted pine that I want removed.

davejor

I am no expert and can only answer based on my experience. I have 40 acres in Oregon. That size cat wouldn't touch the doug fir trees on my property that size. However the soil here is very stable mixture of rocks, soil, and clay. Your conditions are likely different. The biggest issue is the weight of the machine. You won't get the traction needed. Assuming it would topple the tree it seems it would take some time to push them into a pile.

Drag racer

I am no expert and can only answer based on my experience. I have 40 acres in Oregon. That size cat wouldn't touch the doug fir trees on my property that size. However the soil here is very stable mixture of rocks, soil, and clay. Your conditions are likely different. The biggest issue is the weight of the machine. You won't get the traction needed. Assuming it would topple the tree it seems it would take some time to push them into a pile.
What are you using the 40 acres for?

davejor

What are you using the 40 acres for?
Growing timber on 32 acres currently 65 years old, thinning this year. 8 Acres of pasture that I cleared in the early 90's. Just realized you may have intended this question for the OP. I answered because it was a reply to my post...

Last edited:

Drag racer

Sometimes in my area they get someone to cut scrub timber fo pulp wood.If it is for pasture I like to cut at ground level, and you don't lose top soil, if you really want them out by roots a track loader works best.