• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3C LGP Hydrastat

Bill Murrell

I have a D3C LGP Hydrastat that some time ago started to apply the brake on one side or the other by itself. Took it the the local Cat dealer and for a cool $1,100 they diagnosed that the parking break assemblies need to be replaced to the tune of over $13,000.

Now the tractor will not move but a few inches either way. Does the group agree with the diagnosis? Can rebuilt brake assemblies be found and installed? How much of a job is it?

Thanks for any light you can shed on my problem.

Bill

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have a Parts Manual already..? If not you will need one, if not for this repair then for one in the future.
Go to https://catpublications.com/
When the popup window appears click on "Continue as Guest"
Put SEBP2686 in the Search window and hit enter. The illustration below should pup up. $89 for a downloadable pdf file.
I'll post up some procedures later regarding getting into the brakes.

upload_2019-3-27_6-50-16.png

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

I haven't seen a fault in the brakes themselves not allow them to release. If they were leaking the oil would fill the finals and blow your duocone seals. I'd verify you have pressure going to the brakes to release them before you year it all apart. If it actually is the brakes that are bad they can be rebuilt fairly easily. You're lucky you have a D3 and not a 4 or 5. Drive motors are smaller, lighter and much easier to get out.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
The brakes are sandwiched between the drive motors and final drives. One of them will have a hose coming in from the front. A steel line connects left and right and there will be a pressure switch on one of them which goes to the light on the dash. I don't remember for certain but I believe there should be 5-600psi there with the parking brake released. If you don't have pressure then the problem is not the brakes themselves. If either of your final drives are overfull it's likely from the brakes leaking but as I said they'll blow the seals on the final before it could leak enough to not release at all.

Bill Murrell

Thanks for the info. Will try to get the tractor to the shop next week and check the pressures. Got other priorities on the farm this week.

Thanks again.

Bill Murrell

Nige

Got tractor to shop finally. Had a blown fuse in the key circuit which slowed me down moving it. .

Found the park brake light bulb burned out. Replaced the bulb and it stays on all the time. Any suggestions?