• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3C fuel transfer pump (3204)

PurpleCactus

CHECK YOU FUEL CAP - CHECK PSI WITH FUEL CAP OFF

I got the pump in and and started it up. My problem persists. I ran it at high idle and it ran fine for about 1000 ft. or so and it started to starve for fuel. I hit the decelerate pedal to bring it to low idle, barely stays running and after a couple of minutes it seems to "catch" and I can go another 100 ft. or so. The pump is assembled correctly (I went to the dealer service dept. and they brought me to the fuel lab where they had one that he quickly disassembled to make sure I did it right), the filter is new and there is fuel in the tank. Any suggestions on what to check next?
I have had a very similar problem as you. The only difference is I can run when its cold for about an hour and then its starts to act exactly like this. It will starve for fuel, start missing and at low idle it barely stays running. Sometimes if I do not push it to low idle in time it will shut off. Letting it sit for 15 minutes will allow me to start it up again. Then its exactly like yours where probably 1000ft or a few minutes of work and it will do the same.

I tried to keep the fuel tank full to see if it would stop it from happening. Because it started off only doing this pushing or driving up hill. Then a week or so later it would then do it at any elevation (driving it any direction).

I stuck a gauge on it and it would only get to 12PSI at full throttle and 0 at idle.

I ordered an aftermarket fuel pump and the gauge read similar.

I removed my fuel cap and it fired it up. The gauge went to 40PSI.

Backstory:

When I purchased the machine it had no breather on the fuel cap. I only noticed this a year later that it needed one and bought a CAT OEM breather. It ran fine the first year, no fuel issues. The issues were introduced once the breather was installed. It symptoms were not consistent so I didn't connect the dots until now.

Anyway, I just finished testing the machine and have the fuel cap on the bench. I will update with any more details or fixes I find.