• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3b Transmission Problems

Recently purchased an old D3b, worked fine for about an hour after I got it home, then transmission stared to fail it seems. I changed the fluid with a premium brand from the local farm store that met Cat specs. There appeared to be water in the old fluid, a bit milky looking. It worked fine for about ten minutes, then it stopped. It acts like it is trying, but just cant seem to catch. Any ideas? I have ordered a shop manual, but it will be a couple of days before its in. I dont pretend to be a heavy equipment mechanic, but I have worked on old equipment all my life, its my hobby I guess. Any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Welder Dave

Check the screen in 3F/1R trans or the filter if 3F/3R transmissions. If lots of black flakes clutch packs could be worn out.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
That sounds like a unlucky break , Dave was right about the filter and the screen in the bottom of the transmission pan. I would clean the screen , and replace the filter up top. a little trash can stop up the small ports and lines , also it may take a little more engine rpm to get it going . good luck .