• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B right brake locked this morning

Outasite

This machine has thirty five hours,on new clutches and brake bands.It is a 1983 D3B.My operator just called and said the right side brake is locked.It has been working perfect,25 hours ago we set the bottom bolt to 1-1/2 turns from snug and top ajuster is 1-1/2 to 2 turns from snug.That was 25 hours ago.He said the right peddle is now at the top and is hard as a rock.The left side is fine.This seemed happen all at once.Any ideas?:confused:

Bob/Ont

This might not sound like it but it's good news for you. Dry clutches are forgiving and warn you. Wet clutches just keep turning and grind the lining and drum to destruction if the linkage isn't right. Hear is what to. When it cools down tomorrow, adjust the bands as tight as you can and back off 1 1/2 turns 9 clicks. Take out the brake rod pin at the back and free up the lock nuts and end yokes. Push the lever forward and pull the rod backwards. Adjust the rod until the pin will just slide in. Lock up the nuts and ends and adjust the brakes to get the correct pedal travel. Support bolts sound to be right.
Later Bob

Outasite

Thanks Bob,went to the job site and all seemed ok.Will go through all linkage tomorrow.Operator was working the machine really hard stumping,most were D6 size.Will try and report back in a couple days.

Bob/Ont

With dry clutches you want lots of band clearance on the drums. That way you need the linkage set right so the pedal free travel is drum/band clearance not linkage clearance. They will act just as you say, run tight and lock up from hot drum. Then the next day cool down and run free for a few hrs.
Later Bob

Outasite

Thanks again,We had just went through all linkage when the brake/clutch job was done.All is tight and no slop.After about ten hours run in, I did a bottom and top ajustment,I think i got the top a little to tight.I redid them this morning and went with ten clicks.Been running about five hours and all is well.Have you ever used the steel backed friction disc for the dry clutch? just wondering how they hold up,that's what we put in this time.