• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B pinion removal question.

Digwizz

Anybody know which hoops you have to jump through to get the nut off the pinion gear shaft on a D3B? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The shop manual says, "remove the pinion", seems as though they left out a huge part of the story.
Pretty sure there are a bunch of you guys that know the answer.

Thanks,
Mike

Digwizz

Guess I should have said I'm speaking of the final drive pinion and not the one that matches up with the bevel gear.

Digwizz

I wish that were the case. The pinion shaft sticks through the main case and I can't even see the nut because the steer clutch and brake drum are in the way. I was hoping it would be possible to take it off without pulling the steering clutch out. But, it doesn't look promising right now. A picture would only show you the top of the steering clutch.

lantraxco

I am not familiar with the D3B but I think you answered your own question. On the bigger CATs I worked on you had to remove the steering clutch/brake assembly, remove the nut and press off the flange before removing the pinion shaft.