• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D339 question

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
Would the heads off a D7 sn 17a14000 (pretty close to this number) fit on a D7E 48A early one. Maybe 1965

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Both motors should be D339 , I understand that motor goes back further into T3 and T4 , rather hoping it does anyhow , I picked up two heads yesterday off a T4D7 for my D7D . You may be spoilt for choice as there are two types , one cast iron and the other cast steel . I did notice the steel ones on a T4 I looked at did not hold its paint the same as the cast iron . They better fit , traveled 440 km and carried them 25 meters , very heavy

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Alex, are you referring to 3T and 4T D7 models? The 4T model is quite rare, it was only built in small numbers for the U.S. Navy.
Never knew about a cast steel head for the D339, why would Cat made a cylinder head out of cast steel?

Rustyfender, find a part number on the head and I can look up the Cat NPR and it will tell us exactly what machines it fits.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
4T 3575 , there is still green paint showing in places . I could see as soon as I was told it was steel there was a difference .
There was a number stamped on the right side of the block at the rear and just below the head .

2F9053 4160 , What was in between the groups of numbers I could not tell , may have been an H

Attachments

• DSCN1801.JPG
    DSCN1801.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 8

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That's a rare WW2 survivor. I made an error, sorry, it was the 6T that was the U.S. Navy version - the 4T was the standard military tractor set up with the LeTourneau cable control (PCU) and LeT WK7 blade.

The 4T was essentially the same as the 3T, but just built for that specific U.S. military order, with those attachments. I think there were quite a few thousand built.

The D7 3T, 4T and 6T used the D8800 engine. The D7 17A was released in 1955 with the all-new D339 engine, it was the same bore and stroke as the D8800, but it was an all-new engine.
The D339 carried over into the D7E with major upgrades in HP and some design changes. I STR the heads were changed in design at some stage.

Last edited:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
That's a rare WW2 survivor. I made an error, sorry, it was the 6T that was the U.S. Navy version - the 4T was the standard military tractor set up with the LeTourneau cable control (PCU) and LeT WK7 blade.

The 4T was essentially the same as the 3T, but just built for that specific U.S. military order, with those attachments. I think there were quite a few thousand built.

The D7 3T, 4T and 6T used the D8800 engine. The D7 17A was released in 1955 with the all-new D339 engine, it was the same bore and stroke as the D8800, but it was an all-new engine.
The D339 carried over into the D7E with major upgrades in HP and some design changes. I STR the heads were changed in design at some stage.
Do you know if the heads from the D8800 and the D339 are interchangeable , I was expecting to see push rod tubes on it but the rods are inclosed like my D17A

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
No, they're not interchangeable. The D339 was an all-new design engine. Liners and pistons are probably about the only thing interchangeable.

Last edited: