• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D31p

Jeff downing

Trying to understand theory of operation here. When I pull on one of the steering controls, does it release the clutches and then if I pull back all the way does it lock the brake?

Kyfarm

Trying to understand theory of operation here. When I pull on one of the steering controls, does it release the clutches and then if I pull back all the way does it lock the brake?
D31p-?, would be helpful with more info, like year of dozer.

My D31E has joystick control steering, I'm assuming yours has steering levers, if yes, then yes, I believe you are correct in your understanding of how they work.

Kyfarm

Thx. Do you know where to adjust brakes at on this D31p?
yep, remove that small cover plate with 2 bolts and the hump in the middle, (there should be another one just like it on the other side), you SHOULD see a shaft there with a nut on it, tighten the nut all the way then back it off 1 and 1/2 turns.

This is coming from memory but I believe that is what you need to do.

Welder Dave

Just make sure the brakes aren't dragging. Machine should coast on a slight downhill grade or if you drive in 2nd gear and pop into neutral.

Kyfarm

Question: by adjusting the brakes- does that also adjust the clutches so that they release while making a turn?
I can't give you an exact answer to that question but I will say that I don't believe so.

I think the adjustment of the brakes you did just changes the physical clearance between the brake pads and the ?drum? needed due to the actual wearing away of brake pad material.

Jeff downing

Do you know if the clutches are supposed to release when I turn a direction or do the brakes over ride the clutches and cause it to turn?

Kyfarm

Do you know if the clutches are supposed to release when I turn a direction or do the brakes over ride the clutches and cause it to turn?
I'm not the experienced mechanic to give you the guaranteed answer but the way I always pictured it in my mind is:

when you pull the left steering lever slightly the left clutch begins to disengage so the left track is "weaker" and moving slightly slower than the right track and the dozer will turn slight left, pull it farther and the clutch will completely disengage and the dozer will turn sharper left, pull it even farther and the brake will engage (clutch is completely disengaged) left track is still, thanks to the brake, and the dozer should rotate completely left without forward movement.

Roll Tide

Kyfarm

Is there a clutch adjustment? Mine only turns when completely pulled all the way.
I don't think there is a clutch adjustment that is built in like that brake adjustment. If there is its in the linkage.

do you have steering levers or a joystick?

Is this lack of proper steering occurring on both sides or just one?

If you overload the machine (too much dirt or up against a stump or tree) do the tracks keep turning and the engine begins to pull down? OR
If you overload the machine do the tracks stop and the engine revs stay the same?

When you pull the steering lever all the way does it just kinda turn or does it catch and fully rotate with only one track spinning?

how long have you had it?

have you ever taken as many covers off as possible and inspected the linkage between your steering levers and the clutch/brake assemblies? there could be debris blocking proper linkage movement or loose/broken linkage.

Jeff downing

I have steering levers.
I have only owned it for 2 months.
When I turn, one track will lock up as the other one keeps moving.
If I push against tree, engine will bog down.

Kyfarm

I have steering levers.
I have only owned it for 2 months.
When I turn, one track will lock up as the other one keeps moving.
If I push against tree, engine will bog down.
does it happen steering both left and right or only on the left or right?

It does sound like the clutches (or clutch if it only occurs on one side) isn't disengaging. there could be a number of reasons why and the only way to figure that out in my opinion is to physically see what is happening between the steering lever and the clutch itself.

again, I'm a farmer guy that has taught himself to do as much maintenance as possible on my equipment, i'm not a trained or paid mechanic so i can only tell you what i would do and its this:

I'd take as many covers off as necessary to see all the linkage between steering levers and the clutch. If you haven't done this all ready you may be absolutely amazed at how much crud is filling every inch possible. Clean this all. If you have to continue removing covers and inspect the actual clutch area, is something blocking its ability to move properly? Does it slide on a shaft that is rusted?

There is a solution to this issue but you aren't gonna figure it out without some inspection. if you are lucky all you will need to do is clean the insides of the dozer and maybe adjust some linkage, if you find broken parts, well, then thats another issue all together.

Good luck and update this thread, preferably with pictures, as you go along.