• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D31p idler

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Installing new undercarriage on this unit. The wishbone that bolts to the idler isn’t lining up. I’ve got it bolted but it’s sitting at a slight angle and when bolted together the idler isn’t sitting straight in the track frame. I haven’t pulled it back apart but it didn’t seem bent when I disassembled it. Is this a problem or can the idler sit slightly off center?

Marcus Wyatt

Occupation
construction
I replaced mine about a year ago on a D31p-17. If I remember correctly, mine seemed a little off too but I ran it a while before I tightened the he** out of the bolts. It seemed fine to me after that. Still doing fine.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If its like some other machines I've seen there can be an horizontal offset on the wishbone and the tension spring will rub on the bottom roller if it's installed upside down.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I didn’t mess with the spring it sits in a frame basically and I didn’t have to remove anything. I did remove the wishbone but I installed it same position it was removed. I’m going to rotate it 180 to see if it makes a difference though before I button it up.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Figured it out. Where The shaft meets the yoke was cracked when I removed it. I welded it up and never checked the alignment. Took it for granted it was straight. Well it were crooked like a mofo. It only takes a small amount to be off at the end of a 3’ shaft. I’m surprised I didn’t see that. Normally I’m good at telling a bad yoke hahahhahaha