• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D31p 17 steering clutches

Marcus Wyatt

Occupation
construction
My D31 is having trouble turning to the right. It's something that has been gradually getting worse but after clearing a few acres last week, it has gotten almost too bad to push with but still travels straight just fine. Until you load the blade. It's about an 87 model and it has the steering levers. I realize it may need new clutches and the job to replace them doesn't look "that" bad but if there is some adjustments I could do, I'd like some experienced insights into this. It's been a great little tractor, I've just never worked it real hard.

So far I've gotten some great answers in here. Thanks in advance.

Marcus Wyatt

Occupation
construction
I should that when I hit the right brake the left track is weak. In soft soil where the tracks get a good bite is where it's the worst.

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
Anyone? Lol
When I opened up the steering clutch cases on my D21 I realized that all the "tricks" to free up the clutches would only be delaying the inevitable. It's best to jump in and rebuild the clutches and brakes completely. And, don't forget the throwout bearing, clean and replace all the orings in the brake and clutch cylinders. It's always best to do a first class job than have to go back in to fix it again.