• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D11N Impact Ripper vid

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I think that is the configuration they use on a "carry dozer" with twin tilt cylinders that allows the dozer to carry more material during the push by allowing the blade to lay back so less rolls off of the side.I imagine that there is a more technical answer,maybe Surfer Joe or someone will pipe up with one.Ron G

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I think that is the configuration they use on a "carry dozer" with twin tilt cylinders that allows the dozer to carry more material during the push by allowing the blade to lay back so less rolls off of the side.I imagine that there is a more technical answer,maybe Surfer Joe or someone will pipe up with one.Ron G

Bingo. You can adjust it as well. Tilt it all the way back to cut and carry a massive amount of dirt and then you can tilt it forward when you are "dumping" the material/grading.

Gavin84w

They have actually installed the knuckles that connect the pusharms to the blade around the wrong way and it pushes the bottom of the blade about 12 inches forward. This and installing the ROPS on around the wrong way are 2 of the most common mistakes i have seen guys make when putting big Cat dozers together

Deas Plant

Wot's funny 'bout this dozer?

Hi, Folks.
That dozer is not a CarryDozer. It is a standard semi-U blade which could have ONE or TWO tilt cylinders.

As Gavin84W said, the knuckles have been installed bass-ackwards, pushing the bottom of the blade forward about 10 - 12" and causing the blade itself to be 'laid back', which would not be the optimum cutting angle.

Those vibrating rippers were awesome tools - pity they couldn't stop 'em shaking the tractors apart when using them. They must have transferred some pretty fearful vibrations through to the tractor.

Thanks for the link, Gavin.

Tex3406

One time the dayshift crew had removed one side arm for a repair, and when they put it back they put the knuckle around the wrong way. So one side was right and one was wrong. The result - a D10T with an angle blade. They didn't even notice anything was wrong and let it go back to work, but we came in on nightshift, noticed it and swapped it around before the operators got a chance to use it.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Ok now that I've watched it about 20 times in a row I can see the rops backwards, but can you show me the knuckle thing? I'm trying to go between pictures of a D11N and the video and dont see it? Unless it's backwards in the picture too...

Gavin84w

VT you get the best view of it at 1 minute into the vid, the knuckle comprises a vertical pin which connects the blade and a horizontal pin that connects the side arm. In the case of this machine the vertical pin is in front of the horizontal pin whereas it should be behind, easy fix just pull the vertical pin, rotate the knuckle around 180 degrees and realign and drop the pin back in.

You know what i never even noticed the ROPS on backward on this machine, it was just a comment of what i have seen and when i had a better look after reading your post, well there you go!!

As you can see it all still works but i reckon the top of the blade would be bloody close to the lift cylinder if both dual tilt cylinders were brought right in.

On another little mistake i have seen putting dual tilt machines together is i saw the results of not putting the knuckle on the lift cylinder to blade connection and with the extra twist the dual tilt set up gets, well the lift cylinders (that are straight pinned, no trunnion ball anymore) did not last very long at all and during commissioning they snapped and the blade fell to the ground. One of them days you should just stay in bed!!

Last edited:

OilFieldHand

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
My D10T has dual tilt cylinders, You can roll it forward for cutting and lay it back for carry mode. I have mine set up on my blade control to run automatically at the push of a button. When you climb a steep hill (spoil pile) your roll it all the way forward to empty the blade easily.

I start my push with the blade in cut mode, push the button as im still moving and it rolls back to carry mode. Make my push and at the top of my pile I push the button again, rolls my blade forward dumping all the dirt. On my return trip I hit the button again and the machine returns it cut mode.

Dont roll it to cut mod of "grade" work as said above, it puts your corner bits about about 8-10" lower than your cutting edges.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
I think that is the configuration they use on a "carry dozer" with twin tilt cylinders that allow the dozer to carry more material during the push by allowing the blade to lay back so less rolls off of the side

I have a russian DT75 dozer with twin cylinders! :drinkup
the oribinal blade was a two way, without adjustments... so i built a new blade with twin cylinders, works really well on the motocross track!
first i push trough the whoops (bumps) with the blade backwards in cutting position, then i tilt it forward and put in float position to make things level.
forward tilted i can go at full speed without a problem, makes a really nice result.
The crappy machine has suspended UC so making things level in cutting mode is as simple as convincing D8bob that hitrack is really good...
when you start pushing heavy the suspension up fron compresses, and when the load decreases, the front end pops up like a taliban from the cave :mad:

Attachments

• P3120116.jpg
    P3120116.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,090

Deas Plant

Colourful.

Hi, Sparffo.
Colourful AND descriptive phraseology regarding your DT75 dozer. I can see exactly what you mean from that photo. Like the English Vickers crawlers, more better it were for pulling a drawn scraper.

kiwilad

We ran 3 Komatsu 155's only one had the ability to roll the blade back.What a huge difference it made on flat pushing

ravenseye

Occupation
ex cat skinner
Sorry folks too much loose around for me and wrecking the under carriage, would be fine if ripping for scrapers .