• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D10 R vs the mountain of rock

upnover

Occupation
Consultant
Someone sent me these pictures with no story behind it. Apparently the operator lived but does anyone know the details?

Attachments

• DSCN0719 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0719 (Medium).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,023
  • DSCN0720 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0720 (Medium).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3,100
  • DSCN0721 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0721 (Medium).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,026

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I have seen those pics before , that is crazy , but I can tell you the operator did live , walked away from it even , I wish I knew more details

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's some crazy pics! Somebody's got to know where this happened. Looks like the kind of material you find in SE Kentucky or W Virginia.

maddog

The ole saying "it's raining cats and dogs" came to mind except now it's raining boulders. I'll bet he dropped a brick or 2 also, in his pants.

tippatone

Occupation
Future heavy equipment operator
I have never seen a pic like that, that is the only way you will see a dozer folded up like a tent!!!!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
hope he bought a lottery ticket because he was steeped to walk away from that.

Stock

Nothinbetter

Is it real?

Is anyone sure this is a real picture? I for one have never seen a D10 up close. I can not put my finger on it, but something just doesn't seem right. The ripper cylinder came apart, but isn't bent at all, possible, but I would think it would bend before it broke? Nothing in the picture that gives any real scale. Maybe it just light and angle of the picture but it look like something out of a grade B monster movie.

Of course I could be way off base, it just seems a little off to me. I've seem similar photos before that later were found to be fakes.

I sure hope someone here knows the story behind it.

Last edited:

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
that does look like the kind of rock you find down here in WV, and believe me it will do that, big chunks of sandstone like that have mudseams behind them and especially in cold weather they will give way without any noise or warning, we had a guy at work back in the winter smash a 320C excavator just like that....totaled the machine but luckily it was on his off side and he walked out of it, i wish i had some pics of it

upnover

Occupation
Consultant
I looked at the pictures more closely and if you look at the top 2 the final drive is showing and the bottom picture it is almost buried. Could the machine have sunk down that far during the picture taking? Also as was pointed out the ripper looks strange. Who knows.

9Axle

Occupation
heavy haul driver 9axle
look a little closer

that cylinder snapped in half right at the housing:eek:

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Is anyone sure this is a real picture? I for one have never seen a D10 up close. I can not put my finger on it, but something just doesn't seem right. The ripper cylinder came apart, but isn't bent at all, possible, but I would think it would bend before it broke? Nothing in the picture that gives any real scale. Maybe it just light and angle of the picture but it look like something out of a grade B monster movie.

Of course I could be way off base, it just seems a little off to me. I've seem similar photos before that later were found to be fakes.

I sure hope someone here knows the story behind it.

Typically cylinders dont bend , they will just shear right in two I think thats mainly because the steel they use is treated and is so hard its almost brittle , you know what I mean ,

I think when I saw the pics elsewhere they said that the machine was in a cut that the operator had ripped alot and loosened up the material and when the rocks came down , it made the dozer sink alittle

Last edited:

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
the 3rd pic is taken from a different position, more to the side and the final drive is more hidden by some dirt. I think it would have been down as far as it was going to go when those rocks hit it.

JDMGrading

I just noticed if you look real close you can tell it is also raining. This may explain the sinking?

The pics were most likely taken in the order as posted.

dozerdave

My guess would be that the weight of the rock in the slide is forceing the D10 sideways and maybe deeper, causing the material to stack up. I have seen several hyd. cylinder rods snap but I have not seen one bend. They were all on D9 G dozers. One was involved in a slide similar to the picture and the others were from operator abuse.