• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D-7 3-T motor - Help

DustyOne

I have a D-7 3-T cat and another party left water in the motor and it froze up. I am in the process of taking the motor out and finding out what is wrong and get it running.

Can anyone help with some advice. There are no visible cracks that can be seen to the block from the outside. There was water in the oil is the only sign as to what happened.

So my question is, should i take the complete motor out of the cat first and begin trouble shooting, or take the heads off and start there. I was told if no visible signs of the block cracking, then perhaps the sleeves would be the first place to look at .

any advice would be greatly appreciated

dustyone

bobin35

Pull the oil pan fill block with water then pressurize the cooling system the look up at the pistons you may see where the leak is before pulling everything apart good luck.

MECHTRONIK

The first place to look at is usually your engine oil cooler as this seems to give most problems. Is there any engine oil in the radiator as oil will tend to pass to the coolant with the engine running and the other way with engine stopped due to the higher pressure held in the coolant sys.

Another area to check befor any major dismantling is the water pump Check the weep hole for discharge as water can pass to the oil through the seal

That said if you are running water not coolant your liners may infact have pitted

Hope this helps

David Armstrong
MECHTRONIK