• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cylinder internal heat/Hydraulic oil overheating

Scgm

Good morning everyone!

I was wondering if a broken internal cylinder seal could cause the hydraulic fluid to overheat?

Bob/Ont

It will generate heat and you should be able to feel the difference in temp compared to a good cylinder.
Later Bob

Scgm

It will generate heat and you should be able to feel the difference in temp compared to a good cylinder.
Later Bob

Thank you bob. I have multiple issue to address on my excavator your help is appreciated :)

have a great day

Scgm

So basically anywhere hydraulic oil can leak will cause heat.
So the infrared thermometer to pinpoint heat source could lead you to the problem right?

Scgm

One more thing.. when you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmTlbNAG2f8

Would you say that the problem is cavitation between the thank and the pump? it makes quite a bit of sound and you can see the erratic shaking move cause by the air in the actuator?

Make sense or not?

thanks

Bob/Ont

So basically anywhere hydraulic oil can leak will cause heat.
So the infrared thermometer to pinpoint heat source could lead you to the problem right?

An hyd oil leak, roughly translated means, works good until it gets warmed up. If you have an infared thermometer you can work the machine and pin point the problem with it.
Later Bob