• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cylinder “O” ring kit

Big Daddy Den

I have a 1996 Case 580L and i’m looking at replacing the “O”rings in the front bucket cylinders. I phoned one of the nearby dealers and the cost for one cylinder is $206, I can get another kit at a parts store online for $70.
My question is would you guys recommend going with the dealer at the higher cost or would the other one be okay to use?

RES

Got my seal kits from Reliable Aftermarket Parts. Dale Weiss at e-bachoeparts is another good place.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company

rickw

We repacked all of the cylinders on our Super L a few years ago. We used the Bulldog brand seal kits. I got the spanner wrench and unscrewed the gland nuts and left the tube on the machine and took the kit and rod/gland assembly to a local hydraulic shop and let them break it down and rebuild then we just slid it back in the tube. I did have to take the whole cylinder in for at least 1 outrigged in. I could not loosen gland nut. The ones that were already broke down they charged about $50 each. The whole cylinders were close to $100 each labor. The swing cylinders were kinda fun, luckily the gland nuts came loose and I did not have to pull those cylinders. I pulled a few at a time and picked some up and dropped more off.

Big Daddy Den

We repacked all of the cylinders on our Super L a few years ago. We used the Bulldog brand seal kits. I got the spanner wrench and unscrewed the gland nuts and left the tube on the machine and took the kit and rod/gland assembly to a local hydraulic shop and let them break it down and rebuild then we just slid it back in the tube. I did have to take the whole cylinder in for at least 1 outrigged in. I could not loosen gland nut. The ones that were already broke down they charged about $50 each. The whole cylinders were close to $100 each labor. The swing cylinders were kinda fun, luckily the gland nuts came loose and I did not have to pull those cylinders. I pulled a few at a time and picked some up and dropped more off.

That’s great, I may do the same. Seems like everything here in Canada is so much more expensive.

RES

RAP is in Michigan, 2 days to get my parts in Tennessee. Dale is in Illinois, same 2 days to get parts. Reliable sells on ebay too. You'll need the # off the gland to order the seal kits. A lot of them even though the same year changed the seals.

berky

Agree that I would go aftermarket. I have used CEA out of Florida and O Rings & More NC. Never had any problems with either