• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cutting torch for beginner

Delmer

Take a few minutes to find and read through the safety warnings for using compressed oxygen especially, and a cutting torch as well. The thing that sticks in my mind, looking at a nice set of older regulators, is the advice to always back the pressure out on the regulator, then crack the valve open very slowly, and with the regulator facing away from you and your face facing away from the regulator. Before that, crack the oxygen valve to blow any dirt out. Reduce the chances of the oxygen regulator blowing up in your face. Then there are a whole nuther set of warnings for once you get the torch started and how not to blow yourself up doing it. Most guys don't back out the regulator pressure, but at least look away when you open.

Columbo

I bought the Victor handbook for oxy fuel welding/cutting and I’ll read it before I attempt anything. I don’t want to take any shortcuts on safety!

eastroad

There are several welding suppliers near you.
Check out airgas.com and maineoxy.com for locations.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I bought the Victor handbook for oxy fuel welding/cutting and I’ll read it before I attempt anything. I don’t want to take any shortcuts on safety!

The two most important things, #1, do not get any type of oil or lubricant on the fitting where the oxy regulator connects to the oxy cylinder. #2, open the oxy cylinder slowly to allow the regulator to slowly receive the pressure from the cylinder.

Tinkerer

Since you are new to using a cutting torch, it is important to know that the size of the tip will make all the difference in the world as to what you can cut with it efficiently.
The bigger the tip the thicker the metal you can cut.
The same is true for welding and brazing metal.
The psi setting of the oxygen supply to the tip will make a difference in what you are doing.
I have used both acetylene and propane and I didn't care for propane at all, for different reasons.
One is that when welding mild steel, a rich acetylene flame is needed to prevent the tip from back-firing.
A back-fire will blow metal out of the molten puddle.

terex herder

Mild steel should be welded with a neutral flame. I would not use a rich (carburizing) flame when gas welding mild steel. The molten pool will absorb excess carbon from the carburizing flame and the weld metal will be a higher strength and less malleable than the parent metal, making it more prone to cracking. The gas flow through the tip is required to keep the tip cool. If your weld zone won't tolerate all the heat from a properly adjusted flame you need to switch to a smaller tip.

One application for a carburizing flame is when applying hard facing with a OA torch. There the extra carbon is helpful.

Columbo

I’d like to thank @materthegreater again for gifting me a starter torch set and being willing to bring it with him to my part of the state for delivery. Thank you!!

I think I have an oxygen bottle figured out and I’m going to try oxy/propane to start. All I need now is a new grade T hose and a propane tip for the torch then I think my low-budget cutting setup will be complete. Thanks again to all who offered experience and advice.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Good people always pay forward when they can. Does not matter if it's goods or education, help is always the greatest gift. Lots of things given to me over the years always remind me of the giver and their memory is never lost.

Columbo

Small update- I found a used cart on Craigslist for $30 and got an oxygen cylinder from a welding supply house. New T grade hose too. I had a few minutes this morning to get everything hooked up and leak tested, if we get a few warm days I’ll start practicing in the shop. Thanks to all who offered advice, suggestions or equipment! I’ll have more questions once I start using it.

upload_2023-2-25_10-45-59.jpeg