• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cutting / fabricating drop down sides on a dump bed?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Dump truck sides look pretty heavy to me. Getting them open or closed without injury is tricky. I have always admired the bodies with fold down sides, seem very convenient.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I bought a used 14' length box dump trailer with drop down sides. It was too heavy to tow around empty! Of course my truck pulling it was not so great at the time. Consider going in a different direction and getting a 5yd dump truck with a high lift gate. I can still load with my Dingo, and 3500 lb mini excavator.Truck with Highlift gate.jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
29C97B28-FB33-463C-A99D-4F28E165B983_UnibodyDumpBodies_11-7.jpg
We have a tandem with a roll off box like this. Steel though and no center post.
KDBDS1116A-Drop-Side-Dump-Body-Ram-16-1024x768.jpg
The one tons are like this. Ours are made by DEL

oifla

You can also do ramps. I drive my Dingo right up in to both trucks.View attachment 278463

My friend, you've made me reconsider- great post, thank you for sharing.

I'm definitely going in a different direction. Picking up a truck that has a dump tailgate that can also swing out of the way. I was stuck on the contractor bed, thanks to you and the others that shared their experience, I found another solution. Much appreciated

What's the story with those ramps? Can you share the details? Thanks!

O.

oifla

My friend, you've made me reconsider- great post, thank you for sharing.

I'm definitely going in a different direction. Picking up a truck that has a dump tailgate that can also swing out of the way. I was stuck on the contractor bed, thanks to you and the others that shared their experience, I found another solution. Much appreciated

What's the story with those ramps? Can you share the details? Thanks!

O.
@PeterG any info on your ramps? Thanks

O.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
The ramps were purchased at Discount Ramps online. They have a big selection. Not cheap! Plus shipping them to you is not cheap. Pretty well made aluminum construction and welding. 12' long can be pretty steep and can be too slippery when wet. My first ramps were steel, and really really really heavy and a pain to deal with. Also when wet, I got used to sliding back down while going up, and sliding down when going down. That's when I went to longer to 4 piece aluminum ramps which are lighter and less steep.

Attachments

• 20230926_114141.jpg
    20230926_114141.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 43 dia round.jpg
    43 dia round.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Loading truck.jpg
    Loading truck.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 8

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I like barn doors better than one big swing gate. With a high lift gate, you still get the air gate latch and lift system. I hate it when you want to open a gate, and there is too much pressure to manually unlock them. Sometimes we had to use the machine bucket to push up against the barn doors so we could remove the pin when the bed had a lot of heavy material up against it.

Attachments

• Dump Truck with brush.jpg
    Dump Truck with brush.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 3

oifla

I like barn doors better than one big swing gate. With a high lift gate, you still get the air gate latch and lift system. I hate it when you want to open a gate, and there is too much pressure to manually unlock them. Sometimes we had to use the machine bucket to push up against the barn doors so we could remove the pin when the bed had a lot of heavy material up against it.

The barn door on the Ox Body bed is great. It also does the regular dump truck door (hinged at the top).

Good to have that info on the ramps, thank you.

I see that they are quite pricey (holy ramp, $4k+!!!) but not impossible to replicate. Definitely something I'm going to try as my equipment could easily fit in the box of my dump truck and I would very much appreciate not having to bring my giant trailer (useful but what a PIA in tight quarters).

The slippery aspect of the ramps is concerning because my machine is 6k lbs so slipping would not be good. Something to think about when designing/building.

Thanks again

O.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
29C97B28-FB33-463C-A99D-4F28E165B983_UnibodyDumpBodies_11-7.jpg
We have a tandem with a roll off box like this. Steel though and no center post.
KDBDS1116A-Drop-Side-Dump-Body-Ram-16-1024x768.jpg
The one tons are like this. Ours are made by DEL

CE any pics of ya'lls tandem roll-off box with swing down sides? In a perfect world I'd love to have a tandem hook lift.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Still no smart phone This type, but seems heavier.
0-Palfinger-T-40-Hooklift-40000-lb-Capacity-14-22-Containers-2.jpg
It came with a flatbed and that box. No tarp. I swear if I ever break down and get rid of the flip phone, soooo many pictures. Not this box. I think it's a Del body. We have smaller versions on our one tons. I've driven the truck, but never dumped it. They tell me you have to slide it back, then dump.