• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins Holset air compressor

Truck Shop

I'm posting this because I get asked this question many times through the years. {How does the crank and rod assemble
on a Cummins compressor with no bottom inspection cover?}. Pretty simple really-it has a pass through crank shaft.
The one below I'm rebuilding for a friend is the common Holset SS296 found on small and big cam Cummins and also
used in other model numbers on various Cummins engines. 13.2 cfm 3.625 bore with a 2.00 stroke. The parts are available
for a rebuild cost with shipping $185.00.
The rod is aluminum with no insert bearing. To remove crank-rotate crank so rod journal is 90* to bore, remove front
bearing/mounting support and carefully slide crank out fishing con rod through rear crank journal. Very simple.
Coolant only flows through head cooling top of piston and air. One problem these always had was carbon deposits plugging
the ports in the head. The unloader is all located under top cover and in cylinder head, several parts but simple.
Plus There is a timing procedure-rotate engine till A-1-6 valve set mark is lined to pointer, there is a scribe mark on
the end of the compressor crank shaft set that between 9 and 10 o'clock. Although in Cummins N14 {2003} manual
It says it makes no difference on NT series engines-except BCIII's and NT88's -go figure. I time them all.
Average reman price is $375 with a $300 core.

100_1668.JPG 100_1663.JPG 100_1665.JPG 100_1666.JPG

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm posting this because I get asked this question many times through the years. {How does the crank and rod assemble
on a Cummins compressor with no bottom inspection cover?}. Pretty simple really-it has a pass through crank shaft.
The one below I'm rebuilding for a friend is the common Holset SS296 found on small and big cam Cummins and also
used in other model numbers on various Cummins engines. 13.2 cfm 3.625 bore with a 2.00 stroke. The parts are available
for a rebuild cost with shipping $185.00.
The rod is aluminum with no insert bearing. To remove crank-rotate crank so rod journal is 90* to bore, remove front
bearing/mounting support and carefully slide crank out fishing con rod through rear crank journal. Very simple.
Coolant only flows through head cooling top of piston and air. One problem these always had was carbon deposits plugging
the ports in the head. The unloader is all located under top cover and in cylinder head, several parts but simple.
Plus There is a timing procedure-rotate engine till A-1-6 valve set mark is lined to pointer, there is a scribe mark on
the end of the compressor crank shaft set that between 9 and 10 o'clock. Although in Cummins N14 {2003} manual
It says it makes no difference on NT series engines-except BCIII's and NT88's -go figure. I time them all.
Average reman price is $375 with a $300 core.

View attachment 244790 View attachment 244791 View attachment 244792 View attachment 244793
Regarding timing, I was once in a hurry and "just slapped it in". That cost me time, guy brought off the ready line and straight to the shop. Knockin hard. I brought back in, took it down and timed it like i should have in the first place. No more knocky-knock. That cost me some of my gains that week. Never again.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Most of the Cummins six cylinder 855c.i. engines I worked on were the old small cam version. Every once in a while you would be trying to do an injector replacement or valve setting and come to the realization that some SOB had replaced a complete air compressor and did not think it needed to be timed!

Truck Shop

The accessory drives were often miss diagnosed for noise when actually it was a out if time compressor on the 855. Really for what the Holset
series SS296 and others similar it's a fairly reliable compressor.

Truck Shop

On big cams if the accessory drive for compressor was installed out of time. Find TDC #1 by watching valves on #6 valves should be
just at one opening and one closing. Then re-measure the marks on accessory drive pulley for A, B & C so injector valve settings come out
right.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I actually like those compressors.

Had a parts idiot tell a customer that there's no major unloader rebuild kit available and that they'd have to get en entire compressor for $1,100+ lol last week.