• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins big cam or NTC 400 low power but starts good

mattyt1984

Not sure on what engine this is but it is stamped 400 HP. It will start ok but has no power and will not rev up like it should. I have good fuel pressure going in to pump but it just seems like it is starving for fuel. Any ideas what could cause this. There is no smoke or blow by. Also if I put engine under load it will stall out.

Attachments

• leroiengine2.jpg
    leroiengine2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 47
  • leroi engine.jpg
    leroi engine.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 43

Truck Shop

BCIII--Does it idle smooth? Happen at once or slowly over time?

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Remove the braded/rubber return fuel hose near back head. Slip another hose over it and run it into bucket. See if it runs the same.

mattyt1984

sorry yes idles smooth I just purchaed item was told it used to run good has been sitting for years.

mattyt1984

I had fuel flow back to return i found if I plug it power increases. I put a valve on the return and let just a little through and it gets allot more power. What's could cause this?

Truck Shop

That means that PT pump is not aneroid equipped-The old trick to up rail pressure on early non aneroid pumps was put a pair of vise grips
on the return line-problem with that is it causes slow deceleration. Next item have that pump checked. Plus check the fuel feed hose first.

Truck Shop

Problem is that is not a true STC fuel system. I had a cummins manual on it but can't find it.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The system on the older Komatsu excavators is simply on/off using a fuel shut-off solenoid. I believe the automotive version is thermostat controlled. I think. On the komatsu version, anything over idle blubbers and smokes, won't build any boost. It's terrible. I always recommend running the overhead OBC method, then see if the problem remains. I hate STC.

JDirt

I had a big cam that would start and idle perfectly, but seemed to be running out of fuel when you tried to take off, it had a tiny hole rubbed in the braided line from the tank to the pump. It was hard to find, but a cheap, easy fix.

Truck Shop

The PTG pump has two governors. The automotive/highway standard governor located
in the lower housing and a hydraulically operated governor in the top where throttle control
lever is located for load requirements. Having sat for a period of time the bottom governor
has probably stuck. Any moisture will collect in the bottom along with a possibility it has
had bio fuel which over a period of time will freeze up the governors in a PT pump. If it
will idle but won't gain rpm the governor is a good place to start.

So IMO I would have pump checked.

mattyt1984

Is this also a type of governor or regulator??? It's bolted to side of engine how do I test?

Attachments

• PXL_20210811_193356205.jpg
    PXL_20210811_193356205.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 19

Truck Shop

It is the oil psi operated control for the governor located at the top of injection pump. Remove the hose going to top of pump, see if there is
any black engine oil in that hose or port. IIRC that side should only have clean fuel. That controller IIRC is not rebuildable only serviced
through Cummins because it's calibrated.

mattyt1984

I'll check tomorrow so the only way this engine is governed or rpm it's controlled it's by fuel pressure going to the rail?