• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins 855 injector types

CJLennon

Hey Folks,
Yeah, it'se again, the guy that can't leave these 855s alone and get a life. I have another question on a Cummins 855 engine that has to do with injectors. We have 5 Autocars here where I work and each one has an 855 engine. The oldest one is a 1971 and the newest (if you can call it that) is a 1981. They are all NTC engines and vary from the 270 out to the 350 and everything in between. Four of the engines have an engine ID tag that you can clearly see. The 5th engine does not have a tag. Some where along the way it was removed for some reason. All of these 4 tags indicates top stop injectors. The 5th engine is an NTC-350, serial number 10417020, and it does not have top stop injectors. So, my questions are:

1.) Should all these older Cummins Engines have top stop injectors?

2.) According to Cummins, this engine is supposed to take an injector #3054246. If any one happens to be familiar with this injector, is it supposed to be a top stop?

The reason for the questioning is that this is the truck that I wrote about a while back that once smoked bad but pulled great. We did a number of things to the engine in order to try and reduce the smoke and one of them was changing injectors. The invoice from the injector parts place here in North Carolina says that they sold us the 3054246 injectors which we installed last year. But these are not top stop injectors yet the other 4 engines are top stop. To complicate matters worse, when you use the torque method to adjust these non top-stop injectors, you can't get the lash out of the injector rocker arms because the adjustment bolt travels deep down inside the lock nut before the injector bottoms out. So I just seem to be having a real bad time with this engine. Any thought here or answer to my questions would be much appreciated. As always, I owe you guys a lot!

Chris

miro

If you call Cummins with the serial number they can tell you the original CPL (controll parts list) and what it should have from new. If someone has changed stuff you have no way of knowing whats been done.