• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CTL vs VTS Skiddy

therealjohnboy

Has anyone run both to know which is the better all round machine?? I do alot of flat prep and driveways and Slashing work in steep country. need about a 85hp machine to upgrade to from my N/H C175. Seems I can buy a VTS equipped machine for about 3/4 of the price of a CTL. Just wondering if its a viable option.

Cheers John

beandrew

Occupation
Farmer
I have a 2008 new holland 185 on vts tracks and havent had any problems with the tracks at all. I bought the tracks in 2006 and they have been on two machines and have around 2000 hours on them. We use them in brush and mud alot. The tracks are starting to crack out now but nothing major. On your grading with vts system there is a little bit of a sypension in the tracks that allow the front to move up and down. Which this makes it ride nice it could make it gouge in while trying to cut a grade.

stuvecorp

I have a 440S3 with VTS and love it. I think the ride is way better, almost like the ASV's. The VTS does put strain on the drivetrain. I have a MTL16 and do not like it at all compared to the VTS.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
eh john, how goes it?

i look at the vts system vs the systems used by all the main manufacturers and ask myself if the vts is so good then why do the suppliers bother to re-engineer their machines substantially to fit tracks? put another way, i figure they employ enough engineers with some idea to be able to work out the pros and cons of converting a wheeled vs a redesign.

i know my tracked bobcats have proven durable in the hire fleet with no problems to date. i know the drive motors fitted by bobcat to their tracked machines are substantially different, there has to be a reason for that.

the only reason i would contemplate the vts system is if i was using it ocassionally but then ott would probably be just as good.

other point to consider is the complication of the track system (and vts looks complicated to me) and thus the maintenance costs.

one further point is that vts may be a bit of an orphan product in this country ie not well supported. I do not know if this is so but i would want to ascertain the answer before purchase.

my 2c - i'd go with the ctl as i suspect your whole of life costs might be substantially better... just dont use the thing for working on concrete or tar on a regular basis...

oh, and on the ride issue, i prefer my tracked machines to have fixed undercarriages, if the quality of ride is an issue then you are probably using it in the wrong application.

i find the fixed tracked machines brilliant in use whereas i find the sprung machines tend to re-introduce the bad point of wheeled machines - getting thrown around the cabin.