• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CTL sales

440chevy

I was trying to look up what the percentage of the market each company takes but the only article I could find with any numbers was from 2004 and doesn't include CTL's. Bobcat apparently dominated skid steers in 2004 with 45% of the market. I can only assume that they were also way on top in CTL's but 5 years is a long time. So, anyone know where to find the numbers?

CatTractorDerek

Occupation
Construction Equipment Salesman
What do you need the market share numbers for?
Bobcat did a good job back in those years, I sold for a local dealer and it was about 1 track machine for every 7 rubber tire machines sold out in so cal.
CAT's new CTL is nice and my customers like the Track Type Tractor under carriage. 100% CAT made and it's a two-speed.

440chevy

Just curious, I've been looking to branch out from bobcat latley. But, I realize now that bobcat builds a one of a kind. Only other company I found that could get me foot controls was Deere, and I wasn't all that impressed with their machines. One of our guys backed our oldest T-200 into a dump truck at full speed and dented the 1/4" steel to hell, but that machine still finished the job. After 10 minutes with a torch and hammer and a new door it looked like new again. Do that with a deere and you'd be screwed. So, I'm just wondering how these other companies are doing with their ventures.

CatTractorDerek

Occupation
check out our new CTL's www.cat.com then look at Compact Track Loaders models 279, 289, 299. Machines are bullet proof and 100% made cat componets, not using anyones under carriage.

440chevy

I have one bobcat with both joystick and foot controls and have operated a handful of other brands. There is no way I will ever buy another machine with joysticks or even the crossover I have if I can help it. I've never seen anyone be able to operate a machine with joysticks like we can with foot pedals. Biggest draw back is you can't flick the bucket, they just don't respond like good ol' foot controls. Some might say big deal, but it's a huge time saver and allows us to grade tight areas much easier and do a better job. I don't know if bobcat has plans to drop their foot controls but I sure as hell hope not at this point.

CatTractorDerek

Occupation
you just haven't had your cat salesman show you how to flick it, there's a way of doing it, remember I sold Bobcats and now I'm going bad to those same people with CATS and winning them over.

Stick Pro

i used to think that hand foot were the only way to go. Then we bought a 287b there has never been a spot i cant operate the joystick machine in. We are in some tight aeras digging swiming pools, with less than an inch on bolth sides of the gas meters, joystick no prob.

440chevy

Well the local cat dealer is slackin then because none of the guys that I know can flick the bucket. I always laugh as I watch them raise the arms and dump a tiny amount of dirt.

440chevy

Well I'll see if I can demo one and find out for myself. I have a few other issues with cat but if the controls are good enough to flick the bucket on par with foot controls I'd consider trying one out for a season. Does cat offer the set up where the bucket and steering use both sticks? When I talked to a salesman I didn't get much further past no foot controls before I ended it.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I think when you go to pilot controls you can have them set up however you please. Either case pattern or the joystick pattern. its just a matter of switching some cables & sensors around I believe.

Myself, I prefer case pattern for all tight quarters or fine work because thats what I learned on. Its nice to be able to control each side independantly. With that being said, joystick controlls are much nicer to run, you dont need to have both hands on the controlls at all times. In the olders 1840 & 1845c's you could pin the levers with your knees and scratch your nose if you had too, but with the new levers in the xt's & 400 series, you have to stop to scratch your nose, get a drink or whatever. And foot controls, I'm just a danger operating one of those.

CatTractorDerek

Occupation
On the new "C Series" SSL, MTL and CTL the controls are Electric over Hydraulic, therefore you can switch control patterns by a switch before you release the parking brake. It's a nice option.

DeereMan85

Just curious, I've been looking to branch out from bobcat latley. But, I realize now that bobcat builds a one of a kind. Only other company I found that could get me foot controls was Deere, and I wasn't all that impressed with their machines. One of our guys backed our oldest T-200 into a dump truck at full speed and dented the 1/4" steel to hell, but that machine still finished the job. After 10 minutes with a torch and hammer and a new door it looked like new again. Do that with a deere and you'd be screwed. So, I'm just wondering how these other companies are doing with their ventures.

1) Why would you be screwed with a Deere? With the boom design, you'd likely run the boom into the truck before you did enough damage to have to replace the door. And I guarantee you the booms would be fine.

2) If your main requirement is that a machine stand up to running into objects at full speed, you need to hire better operators.

BlackbeardMX

1) Why would you be screwed with a Deere? With the boom design, you'd likely run the boom into the truck before you did enough damage to have to replace the door. And I guarantee you the booms would be fine.

2) If your main requirement is that a machine stand up to running into objects at full speed, you need to hire better operators.

^^^^ What he said ^^^^

I have foot controls on my Deere, and that's really the only thing I hate about it. The back door is pretty strong even though the lift arms protect it from almost anything. The visibility is much better, so you are less likely to back into stuff anyway.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
I 110% agree with the cat controls being slow. I've had 5 ro more 287Bs and now have a 297C and also a 287C. They are so slow to respond in a situation like flicking the dirt out of the bucket. I have a few Takeuchi machines and I can flick a 4'X4' concrete slab a good 10'. The cat also doesn't respond quickly when switching from forward to reverse. Only reason we continue to buy is we have a good relationship with the dealer and more importantly, the tracks do a lot less ground damage than or Taks

440chevy

I have never seen a new deere, I buy my excavators from nortrax and they don't sell the mini's or skid steers anymore. Last one I did see though (probably 2 years ago) I was really unimpressed with how flimsy the rear seemed. It wasn't a CTL though. Either way I will probably never own one mostly because of the crappy dealer we have.

I went and tried out a 289C today also, stopped by a job of one the other company's I work with. No one on that job site could flick the bucket enough to justify me buying one, including me. They didn't really care about flicking the bucket but you'll never catch me with a Cat. Didn't feel like it had anymore power than my T-250 either when you run it into a 10 yard pile. I think the next machine I need to test out is a Takeuchi from the sound of it.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
The tak150 will slow when you hit a 10yrd pile but will keep going right through it. My cats will stop or stall. You will like the tak if you can deal with a rough ride