• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cross dump trailers any experience with them??? Thinking of purchasing one instead of

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
I have been thinking of purchasing a cross dump trailer instead of a belly dump trailer.
Has any one have experience with the cross dump trailers?
How did they hold up?
How did they perform?
Any comments appreciated.
Castleton Industries Ltd makes them, Gravhaul makes them, anyone else??

speedy

They are great for graveling rural roads, lanes or lots. If the material is free flowing enough, you can build block-outs to chanel the discharge to the center to windrow like a clamshell bellydump, or even block the center to gravel a prairie trail. They can also be used to stockpile, if there was enough room, we'd get the truck turned, nearly jack-knifed and reverse while dumping, that way you're not driving over the freshly dumped material. I preferred DeCap brand trailers, Arnes also makes them, Midland as well. Wintertime is a challenge with the material freezing. Dry air is a must as well as a lubricating system for the dump cylinders. As far as how they hold up, some have had a tenancy to crack between the hoppers, but that was in the initial run of the first production units, and the design has since been corrected. We always wired up a separate plug to control the gates independantly and also to the air suspension dump and any lights you'd like - back-up, trailer warning beacons, etc...

mtnview

Where can a person find a cross gate "pup". With the dolly/drawbar. I'm running a single axle and cannot take any more weight on the truck. Will this work?

speedy

They are a rare unit. I have seen a few. Only one 'close-under-load' style, it was a DeCap. I've seen several of the old-style that are a one-shot deal, open up and your commited to dumping it. They have a over-center cam actuated by service brake pots to close them and to open, electric over air.