• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Creating a minor subdivision

skyking1

If I use your $65 per foot for sewer main $31200
asphalt T-patch 6' wide @$7 per sq ft $21000
Structure @ $ 3000
Saw and shoring rentals $ 5000
Asphalt demo $ 4000
120' of side sewers ( 30' each) $ 6000
contingency 15% $10,500
That gets me out of the street for $80,500
Power $10,000
4 corps and stop valves @1500 each $6000

I estimate less than 100K to put utilities onto the lots.
That means there has to be 33K price difference per lot, and I am ignoring the benefits of my side sewer and water service.
I am also ignoring the benefit of having the sewer there for future development. The subsequent costs for another round would be much lower.
They are pushing through that dead end in two directions in 2027. I think I would still have some latecomer fees come back to me on the sewer main work.

DGODGR

You might want to check on that cost sharing deal ("Latecomer fees" as you put it). I am widening the existing county road as a condition to get my subdivision approved. I have a neighbor who also wants to subdivide and they are not willing to share the cost for the 1,000' I am required to widen. I have no recourse (other than to abandon my project) as my county will only require subsequent users/developers (who would benefit from my improvements) to cost share if my improvements cost more than $350k to build, and even then, for only (7) years once I've completed the work.

skyking1

It will come up when and if I talk to the city about it. There was no 350K floor in the regulations.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Interesting, here in my local area there are no sharing fees on developer improvements on a public road. If you want to subdivide property that requires road widening or other improvements then you either pay for it or not develop the project.

You could widen 2 miles of highway, put in a traffic light and someone could develop the property adjacent 6 months later with no sharing.

skyking1

you still pay for it up front, but if the neighbor does his project within 7 years the municipality collects from them for you. How it works I have no idea but it is one of those good questions, and also why I want my house in before that huge development goes in next door.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I had heard of that for gas lines. We were told years ago that our house could have gas if we paid to bring the line in and that anyone else who wanted gas would have to pay a share to us for the hook up. Price for gas back then was cheaper that electric heating and stove. Glad we didn't do it cause gas is one of the more expensive heating modes here now.

skyking1

I heard back from the RE agent, and with everything onto the lot he suggests a price of 130~150 each. Now to discuss it with Darling Wife (DW), and then make contact with the surveyor about getting started. I have a utilities architect that might be able to help with the sewer main design. He did that last grease interceptor job and might be up to it.
The agent suggested a basic set of CC&R's to keep the values up.