• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crawlers I photo'd recently.

td14steve

These threads always remind me of sitting on a Vermeer T600 trencher with the detroit screaming away all day . even with hearing protection it was loud might have something to do with the tinnitus. Or maybe it was the water truck pump with the detroit and on and on....

Truck Shop

Thing is-------------------------------------------------------if these engines were so good,
manufactures and the public would still be demanding them. Remember that great
saying {Supply & Demand}? which is backwards it's demand first then supply. But
2 strokes went out of popular demand for a reason not just the EPA.
So if Ford, Dodge & Chevy all went to offering nothing but two stroke Detroits in the
Big Nose pickups----just how long would that last before the demand dwindled to ZERO.
I can see the lights coming on in the neighbor hood houses across the land after a
few early morning starts with the stink & smoke, great for making neighbors friends.:)

56wrench

Well, in my opinion, they were done in by emissions and a narrow powerband. Truck drivers became lazy and didn’t like to shift gears as much. Generally, 5 & 4 transmissions and other combinations went out of style also as drivers got lazy.

Truck Shop

Well, in my opinion, they were done in by emissions and a narrow powerband.
Exactly-smoke, stink & on the governor, obsolete. But still no one wants a noisy dirty engine
in anything today. But they sure like to talk about how wonderful they were, just don't want
any now.

JaredV

Is Grandpa standing in a hole or are the tracks just that tall? I've never been near one.

Truck Shop

Tyler d4c

Since we are on the subject of hd41s here's a few sitting in pa. Awhile back a guy was hunting parts and at that time I for the life of me couldn't remember where these where. Perhaps he'll find this if he is still hunting

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_204400_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_204400_Maps.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 24

56wrench

When i think of all the ‘good’ stuff that gets scrapped it really annoys me. We live in a throwaway society. Planned obsolescence at its finest. Especially the consumer items

Truck Shop

I look at it from a different angle. Imagine if every car from the Model T up were still around,
every piece of construction equipment still around. Recycling is the best approach plus according
to one thread a Cat 12 grader referred to as a knuckle buster, all the old horrible driving cab-over
trucks that were built. No this stuff needs to go---for the simple fact you couldn't find a operator
to operate it. People hate change-----but I would wager you won't find one person here gripe
about that modern invention to help set grade---GPS