• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cranes and Shovels-- converted to load logs

isx525

was that shovel at the old bay wood yard ? just guessing because I see a viaduct in the background

Rusty Grapple

was that shovel at the old bay wood yard ? just guessing because I see a viaduct in the background

I'm not sure- that yard had been long-closed when I was in there. It's on the North end, just West of the old pulp millsite, and South of the Miller-Shingle yard, on the other (Everett) side of the river there. You probably saw her working at some point!

isx525

yup,that WAS bay wood.only hauled a few loads in there about 1984 (they were handling xport for BN/Plum Creek)

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
My dad had a Lima truck mounted crane just about identical to the second photo on the first page. Young heel boom and a large grapple, but not sure of the make right now. Unfortunately, the only photos we have of it are poor quality color shots that would not reproduce well. The engine was a Cummins 175 as I recall, that was hooked to a torque converter and it was underpowered. A large log would stall the engine and those would have to be loaded one end at a time. This was when there was still some pretty good sized Sugar Pine and Doug Fir in Northern California. The whole design had problems and it constantly broke hook rollers and this caused a lot of down time. The breakage continued even when they installed double rollers on the front as originally came on the rear of the machine. He traded that crane in on a Northwest Timbermaster with the elevated cab, which was on tracks.

As others have said, the problem was getting good operators and most of them preferred to do crane work on construction where the work was closer to home and not so dirty. He finally gave up on cable cranes and loaded with a Cat 966.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I found this big ugly monster a number of years ago north of Pemberton BC, looks to me like some converted crane... That's all I know about it...

Attachments

• IM001880 (Small).JPG
    IM001880 (Small).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,200
  • IM001881 (Small).JPG
    IM001881 (Small).JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IM001882 (Small).JPG
    IM001882 (Small).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • IM001883 (Small).JPG
    IM001883 (Small).JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,201

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
This machine is still sitting on the property in Wood bay. There is a crane boom in the grass a few yards away marked as "Marion"...so I guess we'll go with that

DSC_0177.jpg

Born2clearcut

1958 Harris Creek
Not the best pictures . I don't know what this machine is but it looks like some kind of crane conversion. Must of really sucked not being able to heel the logs

Attachments

• 1958HarrisCreek (2).jpg
    1958HarrisCreek (2).jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 778
  • 1958HarrisCreek (5).jpg
    1958HarrisCreek (5).jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 767
  • 1958HarrisCreek (4).jpg
    1958HarrisCreek (4).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 772

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
After you scan the original prints, you can run the digital image through any simple/free photo edit program ( free download "Picasa" or similar ) then you can "brighten" and add "contrast" the old pictures. These fantastic images would really look good after that treatment.

Born2clearcut

After you scan the original prints, you can run the digital image through any simple/free photo edit program ( free download "Picasa" or similar ) then you can "brighten" and add "contrast" the old pictures. These fantastic images would really look good after that treatment.

I use Photoshop CS5 awesome program . I tried messing with the pictures but just couldn't get them to look right and was running out of time, but i know what you mean .

Redwood Climber

Bucyrus 22B

This shovel loaded logs for Hammond Lumber Co. then GP....don't know if it also worked for LP.

I'm guessing the grapples or tongs were air operated judging from the large air tank on top of the house. You can see big air hoses going in the end of the dipper stick. When they started converting shovels to load logs it was a huge advance in loading equipment. You now had a MOBILE loader. Loading was no longer tied to a pole. They were easily loaded onto a railcar, and later lowbeds when trucks came into play. It must have been a huge leap in safety also.

Photo from the Boyle collection. Dated pre-1956.

Nice looking machine. Note the four nosebags on the catwalk.1999031665.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

Lima Shovel

Operating this Lima shovel for GP was Garth Denman, one of the finest men on the planet. Garth was an expert at operating equipment. In his later years Garth operated one of the big Skagit BU199's at Klamath, Ca. for Arcata Redwood Co. One of the nicest men I have ever known.....and man could he get 'r done! I never knew Garth as a young man, and I found this picture of him....in his prime and in his element!!

This shovel could load some huge logs. If the logs were too big for the tongs.......no problem, just strap it. See third pic.

Photos from the Boyle collection. Dated 1969, pre-1956.1999030617.jpg1999030614.jpg1999030578.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
That looks like the exact same shovel as shown in post #507 of the KW 848 thread. VERY nice.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I found this big ugly monster a number of years ago north of Pemberton BC, looks to me like some converted crane... That's all I know about it...
The KOEHRING shown in pictures was purchased by Malloch & Moseley new around 1970 ,they bought two of them through Finning they were always log loaders . During the mid 1980's M&M became Forst Land Industies which is the logo on the side of this loader.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
1958 Harris Creek
Not the best pictures . I don't know what this machine is but it looks like some kind of crane conversion. Must of really sucked not being able to heel the logs
Check out the cab on the Hayes HDX it has a one piece windshield ,that is the first HDX ever built and the only one with that style of cab ,it was puchased new by Butler Brothers at Sooke B.C. B.B. had some lets say very intresting pieces of equipment in their logging operations. They had two Marions one rigged up as a log loader and one rigged up with a crane boom they used with a clam shell bucket to dredge their booming grounds. The loader shown has the operators cab on the left side ,I would say its a Marion and the picture was taken at Butler Brothers Sooke Operation. And as far as not beening able to heal the logs, they had two brothers working for them, Ernie and Larry Jay if you have anything around that runs and will pick up a log they'll find a way to get it on a truck . When I ran loader at Sooke in 1978 Larry was running a Bycurus Erie line loader on a Skagit rubber tire carrier . I've watch him pull into a landing he'd be swinging around dropping his jacks putting the grapple on the first log ,while talking on the VHF radio , talk about multie tasking the guy was unbelievable.

Last edited: