• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane Slides off of Barge into the gulf

D4's D5

Occupation
Instrument/Electrical Technician
Here are a few pictures from my friend Kevin in South LA. Kevin is on the D5, helping push the crane up the ramp to the barge. From my understanding, the tug boat was still winched tight to the barge, and as the weight of the crane got on the barge, the tug end of the barge came up and caused the tug to come out of the water some, hindering the tugs ability to keep the barge firmly planted against the shore. Then the barge pushed away from the shore. Either way you can see what happens next. I have a 63MB video of the whole thing also, I'll try to post it on youtube later this evening. Enjoy! BTW, the crane boom fell across the barge, people standing everywhere, but no one got hurt.

Attachments

• 102_0072.jpg
    102_0072.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 102_0075.jpg
    102_0075.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 102_0081.jpg
    102_0081.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 102_0088.jpg
    102_0088.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 102_0087.jpg
    102_0087.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,287

Dig-UP

There should have been something securing the barge to shore, some sort of anchor... even a cable to the excavator would have been a good idea... Great vid!

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
Great video. I can not believe no one was hurt. If you look at the video Dig-UP the excavator had it's bucket around the bollard on the barge and then let go and then the barge slipped away.

Dig-UP

It looks like the force of the barge pulling away was great enough to overcome the hydraulic relief valve... Glad everyone is ok, but this could have been avoided...

dirthog28

I like when the hoe operator couldn't hold it any more he spun around and said see you bitchs later I'm out of here.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
You can tell who the owner or foreman was in the video. The one cussing and arms flailing after the screw up for sure. Crane accidents are awefull, and most times the machine is junk or not trustworthy after an incident!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's what I was thinking - as soon as he stops, the dozer is acting directly on the barge...to launch it!:eek:

I think the dozer did, in fact, help launch the barge. But I think his actions were from what he could see from his perspective. He could tell the crane wansn't all the way on the barge and that his blade under the counterweight was the only thing holding it on, so he kept pushing till it was futile. What was the barge tow doing while the barge was adrift? Was he texting on his cell phone while he should have laid down the throttle? And as for the crane operator stopping, do we know he actually stopped tramming? It's possible the swing drum clutches were too loose to provide strong drive, hence the need for A DOZER PUSHING A CRANE! I can see so many safety errors in this video that the video could be used to train personnel all the things NOT to do! It's obvious that they didn't sit down, plan it out, work out the procedure, appoint "John Doe" to be the lead and only signal man, etc. It seemed everyone was doing his own herky jerky thing. And what's up with so many useless and in the way yo yo's on the barge? It's an absolute miracle that not one of those guys on the barge got squashed like a 'possom on the centerline! Amazing! :pointhead

Jeff Arnold

dozer should have been pulling on the other side of barge oppsite hoe if that 108 wont pull it self because of clutch adjustment it is the ops fault

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
dozer should have been pulling on the other side of barge oppsite hoe if that 108 wont pull it self because of clutch adjustment it is the ops fault

Well, I maintain that it's not just the crane operators fault, or the dozer operator, or the trackhoe, nor any one individual. There are so many errors in this whole process it is the epitome of the old saying "it's an accident waiting to happen"! :)