• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane Certification

Tugger2

A dragline is a cable excavator , i would say not. But in todays world who the he## knows. If you can run a dragline productively ,your certainly qualified. Id just get to work .

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
In Ontario you need a crane license
In fact I know a guy that puts a new apprentice on a dragline to see how bad they want to be a crane op. , and there’s nobody to hit. Similar to a friend that has a newholland dealership his apprentices start on the tire truck

cranesafety

My understanding is it depends on what your doing... these excerpts from NCCCO FQA:

OSHA 1926.1400 covers cranes in construction only. For crane work in general industry, refer to OSHA 1910.180. There are no federal operator certification requirements at this moment in general industry [§ 1926.1400(a)]. updated 01/26/11

If crane work does not fall under one of the special standards, such as Construction or Maritime, then OSHA usually considers it to fall under general industry (29 CFR 1910.180). OSHA generally considers construction to include the building, altering, or repairing of new or existing structures. Construction work also includes demolition and deconstruction of a portion or all of a structure. Maintenance may also be considered construction depending on its complexity and scope. Since similar work can fall into either category depending on the exact nature of the job, the general approach often adopted is: Go with the stricter standard. [See pp. 23-24 for OSHA's further interpretation of "construction" vs. "maintenance."] updated 1/26/11