• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cracking Cross Member

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
2020 Kenworth T800 quad axle dump truck

I noticed a cracked cross member while I was last under my truck. Its the carrier bearing cross member. Ill post pictures. I am waiting on a new one to get delivered and I was curious what would cause this cracking? I believe the piece is aluminum and I know the driver is not the most gentle driver I have. On the cross member closer to the motor, the bolts that connect the gussets to the cross member were loose. Would that cause play in the frame and crack the other cross member?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'd be looking at the u-joints and carrier bearing. Make sure some jack-wagon hasn't hung the shaft out of phase. That looks like stress directly inline with the mounting of the carrier. I would guess someone tweaked or uninstalled something during a clutch service or something along those lines. That's definitely a symptom of something bigger.

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
We’ve had this truck since new and we’ve never touched anything in the driveline. I’ll check u-joints, slip joints, carrier bearing and phase of drive shafts.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
As someone who watches a fleet of late model T800\T880’s, it’s not uncommon to find cracked crossmembers. They just appear to crack with no rhythm or reason. Especially the one between the axles.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Really, the only time I saw aluminum crack like that was an imbalance. But , I've been away from trucks for 20+ years. I remember a customer with an aluminum frame freightliner. The corrosion at the crossmember gussets would split the frame rails. Not a good choice for the midwest, fer sure.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Stamped steel. I forgot to mention I’m dealing with straight trucks. I don’t hear or see much about tractors breaking crossmenbers.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, the bright side is, no huck bolts. Looks like all traditional bolts, washers and crown locks. I would personally opt for flanged frame screws with flanged crown lock nuts. But that's just me and my preference. You might also consider, the driveline angle. I don't remember the magic numbers, I think it's 3° but I can't say for sure. Maybe the carrier needs to be raised or lowered.

56wrench

That slotted open hole in the crossmember causes a stress point. On a truck that goes off-highway its a crack waiting for a time to happen. A poor place for an open hole in my opinion

Truck Shop

Mexico--China or made in the USA has nothing to do with it---KW has been building
those same crossmembers and gussets going back to mid 60's. Cracking has always
been a issue. Bolts getting loose has always been a issue-puny 10mm on late trucks.
Pete can have the same problem.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The biggest problem I remember with KW was those elephant ear trunions. They would always tear by the bushing for the track bar. First, stamped steel then cast pot metal. Don't know if they ever came up with a fix.