• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Costs of owning a swing seat boomtruck

Jdgronewoller2

I’m looking at getting a 40-50 ton swing seat truck mounted crane. Minimum 100ft of stick with a 30-50 ft lattice jib. Obviously there is the upfront cost of the crane anywhere from 150-200 thousand used. But I want to know the operating and carrying cost of owning this machine. Auto insurance, liability insurance, fuel, maintenance, inspections, misc rigging are some that I can think of. Obviously I’d need to get a cdl and nccco certification, what cost can I expect with this? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

crane operator

If you don't have the experience to already have your cdl and nccco, I'm not sure the numbers would matter. If you are spending 150-200 for the crane, better figure another 50,000 to get started, and you'll need a place to park it.

If you don't have the experience to already have your cdl and nccco, I don't think anyone will insure you, unless its falling under a already existing construction company liability. If you're wanting to do rental, I don't see it happening.

John Griffin

Most of the insurance companies I talked to want a minimum of 2 years cdl experience or your rates are way high. They look at you like they look at a 16 year old that just got their license.

Repair costs are high and a lot of the newer stuff has to go to a dealer. My grove gmk3050 had an electrical cable go bad. $3500 to replace it. Crane parts are very expensive compared to car parts. Tires for my crane are $2200 ea. My boom truck isnt as bad but they are still about $700 for a steer. 385 floats arent cheap.

We have a new hire that doesnt have his cdl. We inquires with the local community college as they have a truck driving program. $8k for tuition. With the new federal mandates for certified trainer hours, their price is a bit high at the moment. Nccco school in our area is about $3k.

Natman

Crane parts expense... even for my 30 ton boom truck: I double whatever costs I first think it will be, and I start really high, then when the bill comes in and it's double my already doubled high estimate, it's not too much of a shock.

Natman

My Manitex 22101S had a "open cockpit" seat, no cab, and even though I built a roof over where I parked it, the open walls let snow and rain blow in. The winch control would freeze up (no pilot controls) in the winter, the first time the cable broke I got out the parts book and ordered a factory replacement, it was 3 or 4 hundred bucks. It broke a couple years later, by then I was a little wiser, and I had a local farm equipment shop make me one for less then $50.00, that also worked better. My last front tire on the Mack Granite was "only" $1100.00!