• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

coolant for cat

bjs

Occupation
lawn care speclist
I have a buddy out of state that purchased a cat 287b . he wants to know what kind of coolant to run ? said was little low .

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If it's green the original coolant has been replaced at some time with regular anti-freeze. My vote would be to drain all the coolant, flush the system completely with water, and refill with coolant meeting Cat EC-1 specification. The total system capacity is only 2.8 gallons.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If it's green the original coolant has been replaced at some time with regular anti-freeze. My vote would be to drain all the coolant, flush the system completely with water, and refill with coolant meeting Cat EC-1 specification. The total system capacity is only 2.8 gallons.

Nige beat me to it. Cat ELC is the best coolant on the market IMO. Had a water pump go out on our 953 at 4K plus hours and while changing it noticed no cavitation or buildup - the pipes were clean as they say. That particular engine has ran Cat ELC since day one.

I have since swapped all of our engines over to ELC.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
BJS check the price of Cat ELC at Yancey, Thompson sells it at about the same price as you can buy green antifreeze at an auto parts store.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Nothing better than CAT ELC coolant.....I buy it but the 55 gallons drum. Had three delivered last Friday....good stuff !