• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Coolant filters? NAPA 4206 vs 4071

colson04

What's the difference between these filters? Gal at local NAPA had no clue, and their guy that knows what is what was gone today.

According to Napa's website, both filters have the same threads, and come pre-charged with 4 units DCA.

I'm doing a full filter service on my 1992 International dump, and I have tried to replace filters with what was already on the truck. Unfortunately, some of the filters have no part numbers left due to age. My wife's cousin has 2 International dumps like mine and has shared a list of part numbers he uses, all Napa, so I have a reference. My fuel filters were the same, my oil filters are different, air filter the same, coolant filters different. Both trucks were county plow trucks, same engines, same transmissions.

The Napa guy explained the difference in the filters my truck had vs. what is usually kept in stock for the engine (high efficiency vs standard), but he wasn't there today to explain the difference in the coolant filters.

Also, with what frequency are coolant filters normally changed?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
407x was the standard coolant filter that went on everything. The "x" denoted something to do with the number of units of DCA it contained. The 4206 is a bit taller but all the other dimensions and specs about the same. Probably just a minor modification to make it match the International branded filter it replaced more closely.

Are you still running DCA style coolant anyway? If it were my truck I would have replaced the coolant with modern ELC by now and install a 4070 non-DCA-charged filter only. Change it every couple years so it does not get rusted stuck.

colson04

I bought this truck at an auction last fall and have only put 6 hours on it since it came home. I don't know what coolant is in it.

Is there a simple test to see which it has? I'm still learning a lot about heavy truck maintanence.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
What color is it?

Green or light pink or pinkish purplish red can be the old DCA conventional. Strawberry red is usually ELC. I don't know about tests.

If it looks less than perfect I would flush it clear with hose water, and refill with 50% ELC making allowance for the amount of water trapped in the block after draining all easily accessible drains. I don't go too crazy with coolant flushes but it is nice to start with a known quantity.

Tenwheeler

I am not exactly sure what a 4206 filter is but a 4071 is a standard service filter with 4 units of DCA. The 4074 is a precharge filter with 12 units of DCA and should not cost a lot more. It is for when all new conventional coolant ( green ) is installed.
Wix makes Napa filters. If you do not find it on Napa's sight your might try Wix sight. The only difference in numbers is normally the first number is dripped off Wix's number for Napa. The first Wix number means: 2- coolant, 3-fuel, 4-air, 5 oil but not just engine.
If you are still using conventional coolant it should be checked with test strips at times.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm with BV. If you have no idea what's in it right now then a good flush and refill with a known product is probably bettter than taking a chance. TBH I would drain as much coolant as would come out, top the system up with water, then run the engine to circulate the coolant from the areas that hadn't drained. Rinse & repeat until the water coming out of the bottom of the radiator is clear.
Today's product of choice is a pre-mixed 50/50 ELC, it does away with the need for DCA "filters" and IMO is a far better product than an anti-freeze that requires DCA.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you do as suggested flush and replace with 50/50 ELC coolant and want the non-chemical spin on the NAPA number would be 4070 or Wix 24070. Donaldson would be a P554685.

Those all should be filters with the 11/16 thread and be 5.21 inches tall.

colson04

Thanks for the response guys. I'll plan on flushing it next weekend and replacing with ELC coolant. And thanks for he part number, I'll pick up the non-DCA filter when I do the refill.

hosspuller

Today's product of choice is a pre-mixed 50/50 ELC, it does away with the need for DCA "filters" and IMO is a far better product than an anti-freeze that requires DCA.

Nige... some questions...

DCA = Diesel Coolant Additive... ELC = ??

DCA is the additive to protect cylinder liners from cavitation erosion … right ?? then does ELC protect without additives?

hosspuller

Nige … Thanks … Lots of info on Caterpillar ELC. For other HEF readers... Cat's whole premise is the cavitation erosion protection is used up very slowly, so the concentrate replenishes it at half life. The various CAT literature says 6,000 (marine), 10,000 and 12,000 hour life. The no Silicates is an interesting note. Claims to extend pump seal life.

Do other ELC makers make similar claims ?

Nige

AFAIK a company called Old World Industries manufactures most if not all the Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolants in N America, of which ELC is one. You might know the brand better as Peak. https://www.peakhd.com/product_lines/final-charge/
There is conventional ELC and nitrite-free ELC, both from the same manufacturer. Generally on-highway stuff uses nitrite-free, off-road the opposite.

walkerv

AFAIK a company called Old World Industries manufactures most if not all the Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolants in N America, of which ELC is one. You might know the brand better as Peak. https://www.peakhd.com/product_lines/final-charge/
There is conventional ELC and nitrite-free ELC, both from the same manufacturer. Generally on-highway stuff uses nitrite-free, off-road the opposite.
With the new heavy equipment running aluminum radiators , i read a bulletin somewhere from cat that the nitrated elc was causing a heavy ammonia smell , it would not hurt anything but use non nitrate elc next time fluid was drained for repairs.

doublewide

Some bits I picked up some time ago(not my words);

"Where diesel cylinder cavitation is concerned, the bubbles are formed by the rapid flexing of the cylinder wall liners as the high compression, high energy diesel combustion process takes place. …… The bubbles in diesel cylinder wall cavitation don't explode, they implode due to pressure. It is this implosion against the metal surface that causes the pitting to form in the outside of the cylinder wall. Eventually the prolonged pitting become a hole. Water/coolant enters the cylinder, and thus we have engine failure…..

….. SCA's are one method of inhibiting cavitation by providing a barrier on the coolant side of the cylinder wall. However, I would like to say that it is not necessarily the SCA's displaced layer that can cause scale and coolant system plugging, but the components in the SCA itself, particularly when mixed with H2O or glycol. The use of conventional SCA is effective, but it requires testing, careful dosing, and frequent flushing. It will reduce heat transfer, and exacerbate water pump and other engine component failure……

….. There are many modern Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants specifically designed for diesels. Delo ELC, Rotella ELC, International's Fleetrite ELC, CAT ELC, Mobil 1 ELC, and a host of others. They will address diesel cavitatation, provide superior metal corrosion protection, provide better heat transfer, require no testing and maintenance, be free of harmful abrasive silicates, borates, and phosphates, and have an operating life up to 1 million miles…..

Conventional coolant (usually green) with the addition of SCA at initial fill. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance there after.

Pre-charged coolant (usually purple or pink). Comes with an initial dose of SCA. Frequent SCA testing and maintenance required thereafter.

G-05 coolants. Comes pre-charged with SCA package. Fush required at 50K miles. Semi-annual SCA testing and maintenance recommended.

Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants. Come pre-charged with carboxylate inhibitors. No testing or maintenance. Super protection. Super long life.

Specialty coolants. Evans. Waterless, pressureless. Long life. No maintenance or testing. Expensive.

Not to be used - Dexcool, Universal coolants, All-makes-all-models, etc."

kshansen

Occupation
Question on the SCA filters. Is there a problem that could be caused if someone is running say CAT ELC and a filter with the SCA additive is installed?

Nige

Question on the SCA filters. Is there a problem that could be caused if someone is running say CAT ELC and a filter with the SCA additive is installed?
In a word - don't. Apart from the fact that ELC doesn't require an SCA it messes up the additive chemistry.
Either close off the "heater" valves that allow coolant to flow through the filter, install an empty canister as mentioned above, or simply leave the old canister in place if the SCA in it has all been dissolved into the coolant. The problem is the canisters tend to rust though, so option 1 (closing the valves) would be my choice.

kshansen

Occupation
I got bought a Baldwin bw5137 which is the same as the 4071 for $8. Those sound way over priced.
You got a good deal there as all the online places show that filter as costing $13 to $14!

By the way for the NON-SCA filter the Baldwin part number is B5134